Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:38
English to German
+ ...
Nov 2, 2006

Hi,
Any advice?
I'm working on a press release which quotes a great deal of what has been reported in a study. In German, this is handled quite conventiently with conditional verbs.

My English version is a nightmare. I'm running out of alternatives to "Reportedly, ...", "According to..." and "Supposedly, ...", etc. There's surely a "proper" way to deal with this, but my googling has been to no effect so far...
Help ?!?

Thnxx,
-Mike-

Direct link Reply with quote

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:38
German to English
+ ...
Indirect Speech Nov 2, 2006

Mike Hodshon wrote:

My English version is a nightmare. I'm running out of alternatives to "Reportedly, ...", "According to..." and "Supposedly, ...", etc. There's surely a "proper" way to deal with this, but my googling has been to no effect so far...
Help ?!?

In addition to the aforementioned, there's always the old "(s)he said" and variations thereof. If the context is obvious enough, you may not have to include these indicators in every single sentence of indirect speech.

This is an instance where German seems a lot more economical than English ... usually it tends to be the other way around.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
You're right Nov 2, 2006

Hi Mike!

I think you're handling it correctly. Look up some English-language articles recounting the findings of studies, e.g. (just one example) http://tinyurl.com/yzrobv

How about these, some of which are used in the above example:

The study says...
indicates...
reports...
shows...
predicts...
reveals...

alternate with

{Sentence}, the study says/reports/indicates/shows.

and alternate with the name of the organization that conducted the study or with "the researchers":

According to XYZ
XYZ said that
XYZ indicates that
The researchers report that

Hope that helps!

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Leave it out sometimes Nov 2, 2006

Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:
If the context is obvious enough, you may not have to include these indicators in every single sentence of indirect speech.

I agree with this also.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:38
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I usually just put an indicator at the beginning of each paragraph Nov 2, 2006

Hi Mike!

I have this problem regularly, namely every time a court decides a case. First they quote one party at length, then the other party at length, before they write their conclusion, so the reported speech goes on for pages.

What I do is write, "According to XXX...", or something similar, at the very beginning of each paragraph, and the reporting is implied for the rest of the paragraph. However, you also need to change the verb forms to the English conditional, usually "had" (XXX reported that they had...).

I normally just write these huge chunks in the normal form, on screen, and then do the adaptations to the reported speech form at the proofreading stage. It is much easier that way.

Astrid

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Only translate Bild-stories Nov 3, 2006

When reading Mike's posting I suspected Bild would not use conditional, and I seem to be right. So you could either concentrate on Bild-stories or use the Bild method in English:
Pott: „In vielen Bereichen sind deutliche Verbesserungen erzielt worden.“
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quoted passages in the German conditional

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums