Elke Fehling
Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:59
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 9, 2006

Hi everybody!

I am working on a huge project (100,000 words, 1,500 files in many directories) in Trados Tag Editor (Trados Freelance 6.0) and I am encountering some very annoying unconveniences:

- No or no good spell check
- No Search & Replace acrross all files inside the different directories or even inside one file (because I have to individually open & close every translation unit in order to make changes)

For smaller projects I used to copy my t
... See more
Hi everybody!

I am working on a huge project (100,000 words, 1,500 files in many directories) in Trados Tag Editor (Trados Freelance 6.0) and I am encountering some very annoying unconveniences:

- No or no good spell check
- No Search & Replace acrross all files inside the different directories or even inside one file (because I have to individually open & close every translation unit in order to make changes)

For smaller projects I used to copy my texts + the files names from Tag Editor into Word. I am also doing this now, but it is not only very time consuming but also doesn't fully cover my needs: I copy the text from the German preview mode so it doesn't contain any tags and is easier to read, but if I do this I cannot copy the text within tags that are not shown on the screen (like for example comments or hyperlinks).

When, after several hours or days of work I find out that I have to change the translation of a word I do a Search & Replace on my Word file, then I have to look for the small Trados Files (since they are in many different directories some names are used several times, so it's not so easy to find them) and apply the changes in the Tag Editor file. Awfully time consuming & error-prone, and it doesn't change the "unvisible" text.

Does anybody know of a more convenient way to work with thousands of Tag Editor files?

It would help me, for instance, to find a tool hat does a global Search & Replace on directories on the Trados Editor files (*.ttx). A simple editor (like the one in Windows) with global Search & Replace capabilities would do. (Adobe GoLive has this feature, for example, but can only apply the changes to *.htm(l) files).

Any help highly appreciated!!!

Elke

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-09 12:09]
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:59
English to Russian
+ ...
+tools Nov 9, 2006

I think +tools program from www.wordfast.net will solve your problem.

as per manual:
+Tools rests on a powerful file explorer (up to 1,000 files can be selected in up to 1,000 recursed sub-directories). This facility lets you perform search/replace, statistics, macro execution, conversions, file tagging etc. on hundreds of files in one
... See more
I think +tools program from www.wordfast.net will solve your problem.

as per manual:
+Tools rests on a powerful file explorer (up to 1,000 files can be selected in up to 1,000 recursed sub-directories). This facility lets you perform search/replace, statistics, macro execution, conversions, file tagging etc. on hundreds of files in one single action.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g47/nordbergus/tools.jpg

[Edited at 2006-11-09 12:38]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Huge project in Trados Tag Editor Nov 9, 2006

I am working on a huge project (100,000 words, 1,500 files in many directories)

I would consider using DVX or SDLX for that many files, because they can glue files into one huge project, but I'm not sure if this could be done with the TTX format. Perhaps somebody else will clarify that.

It would help me, for instance, to find a tool hat does a global Search & Replace on directories on the Trados Editor files (*.ttx).

I use Total Commander for searching within TTX files (not replacing). It can search within subdirectories and display the resulting files in one window. The files can be selected and dragged to TagEditor. If you try Total Commander, don't forget to check "Unicode" in the Search dialog box.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I would use the export function Nov 9, 2006

First of all you do not have to open and close each segment. Remove the target protection and after that use the find-replace funtion.
You could also collect the files by analysing them all together and exporting the unknown segments to a single file, perhaps rtf, and translate in Word. After spellchecking and correcting you would clean up and translate the original files as the last step using translate to fuzzy.
You can export all by chosing "less than 101 %" known.

Yo
... See more
First of all you do not have to open and close each segment. Remove the target protection and after that use the find-replace funtion.
You could also collect the files by analysing them all together and exporting the unknown segments to a single file, perhaps rtf, and translate in Word. After spellchecking and correcting you would clean up and translate the original files as the last step using translate to fuzzy.
You can export all by chosing "less than 101 %" known.

You can also use the Word spellchecker in TE.

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-09 12:50]
Collapse

Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
Convert TTX to RTF and concatenate Nov 9, 2006

Hello Elke,
I never work in TagEditor for exactely the reasons you mention. TagEditor is not a Word processer, and lacks many of the features I need in my daily work as a translator (custom made macros, etc).

This is what I do in your situation:

* Batch convert all the files with a smart little tool called TTX-QSC2RT
... See more
Hello Elke,
I never work in TagEditor for exactely the reasons you mention. TagEditor is not a Word processer, and lacks many of the features I need in my daily work as a translator (custom made macros, etc).

This is what I do in your situation:

* Batch convert all the files with a smart little tool called TTX-QSC2RTF: http://www.ecm-e.de/cm_en/downloads.php?cat_id=3 (click on Freeware).

* Concatenate all the files into one file in Word with a macro (it is a rudimentary macro, but if you want it I can send it to you). I think there is a function in Windows/Word for this also, but I have not explored it as my macro works fine for me.

When all translating and editing is done I pre-translate the TTX files against the TM. If there are no issues with multiple translations etc, and the analysis show that everything is 100% there are no problems. However, sometimes you need to open some of the TTX files in TagEditor to make sure everything is translated properly.

Best regards,
Cecilia

[Edited at 2006-11-09 13:18]

[Edited at 2006-11-09 13:20]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Macro Nov 9, 2006

Cecilia, could you please post the macro here? Thanks.

Cecilia Falk
English to Swedish
Macro for concatenating files Nov 9, 2006

Hello Hynek,
Please (anybody) feel free to contact me through my profile, and I will supply the macro.

Best regards,
Cecilia

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
SDL Trados Glue Nov 9, 2006

Hi Elke,

Go to Start/Programs/SDL/SDL Trados/Tools and select SDL Trados Glue.
There, you can merge as many TTX files as you want into one single file called Master File.
Once finished, follow the same path and select the Unglue tab to regenerate the original files.

As for the spellcheck, you can select the Word spellchecker in TagEditor (see in Options), though I deactivated it due to constant crashing of the software.

Hope this can help.
... See more
Hi Elke,

There, you can merge as many TTX files as you want into one single file called Master File.
Once finished, follow the same path and select the Unglue tab to regenerate the original files.

As for the spellcheck, you can select the Word spellchecker in TagEditor (see in Options), though I deactivated it due to constant crashing of the software.

Hope this can help.
Sylvain

[Edited at 2006-11-09 15:57]

[Edited at 2006-11-09 15:59]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
SDL Trados Glue Nov 9, 2006

Sylvian, the tool is not available in my version (SDL Trados 2006 Freelance) - what version do you use?

Cecilia Falk
English to Swedish
Trados Glue for download Nov 9, 2006

Hello,
Trados Glue can be downloaded as a stand alone product here:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1597

Please note that it says:
"The tool is not covered by the official SDL TRADOS support but it is made available for use at your own risk."

I have used it occasionally and not experienced any problems.

Best regards,... See more
Hello,
Trados Glue can be downloaded as a stand alone product here:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1597

Please note that it says:
"The tool is not covered by the official SDL TRADOS support but it is made available for use at your own risk."

I have used it occasionally and not experienced any problems.

Best regards,
Cecilia

[Edited at 2006-11-09 20:12]
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
SDL Trados Version 7.5.0.756 Nov 9, 2006

The title summarizes the main point

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:59
English to German
+ ...
DVX Nov 9, 2006

Hynek Palatin wrote:
I would consider using DVX or SDLX for that many files, because they can glue files into one huge project, but I'm not sure if this could be done with the TTX format. Perhaps somebody else will clarify that.

I often translate TTX files in DVX, and sometimes I receive RTF-documents prepared with Trados S-Tagger.
When I open them directly in DVX, the tags are not recognised as tags, but after saving them as TTX files DVX handles them properly.

Traduloc
Traduloc
Spain
English to Spanish
Open them in SDLX Nov 10, 2006

You can open the tag editor files easely in SDLX. You can also convert trados memories into SDL TM.
I hope this helps

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"100,000 words, 1,500 files in many directories" Nov 10, 2006

It's the stupid little omission (or ignorance) in TWB, that does not allow recursive listing of files to translate/pretranslate/clean etc.

Such a small step for TRADOS, and such a big step for the mankind (sigh...).

My hack for this kind of a situation: for translating (ie filling up the TM) I copy all the files into the same subdirectory, mangling their names, if necessary. And when the time comes to deliver, I walk through the subdirectories (gnawing my teeth, but
... See more
It's the stupid little omission (or ignorance) in TWB, that does not allow recursive listing of files to translate/pretranslate/clean etc.

Such a small step for TRADOS, and such a big step for the mankind (sigh...).

My hack for this kind of a situation: for translating (ie filling up the TM) I copy all the files into the same subdirectory, mangling their names, if necessary. And when the time comes to deliver, I walk through the subdirectories (gnawing my teeth, but, h*l, you do it once and then it's over).

Anyhow: the idea is that during the real work - i.e. while filling up the TM - it is not strictly neccessary to keep the right file names etc. As long as a translated segment gets recorded correctly (whatever the name of the file used), the job is done.

Once that is done, one can travel through all those subdirectories, filling up the listbox in the TWB and then press OK...

regards
PS: given all these well meaning suggestions I am really interested to have Elke's feedback - i.e. to hear what's the most practical in her situation....

[Edited at 2006-11-10 22:01]
Collapse

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
How many TM´s do you guys have??? Nov 11, 2006

I mean, a TRADOS licence is a lot of money. Add Wordfast, SDL and another and I could buy a new car! Like Vito said, such a small step...

Has nobody tried the +tools Sergei mentioned? That one seems to solve it all, and considering WF is not that expensive...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Huge project in Trados Tag Editor

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »