Help me pls! (MOD: thesis on the theory of translation)
Thread poster: Reall Trad
Reall Trad
Reall Trad
Local time: 19:01
Romanian to English
Nov 27, 2006

Hello all!
As you probably know I am only 20 years old and I have to make some seriuos research on the Theory of translation.I'm so happy that I found this forum and I hope that you can help me.These are the questions :

1.What role has the translation in our society?
2.What are the limits of the translation work?
3.Whom has the translator show fidelity to?Why?
Write as much as you can and argue!
Pls help if you can!

[A címsort a ProZ mu
... See more
Hello all!
As you probably know I am only 20 years old and I have to make some seriuos research on the Theory of translation.I'm so happy that I found this forum and I hope that you can help me.These are the questions :

Pls help if you can!

[A címsort a ProZ munkatársai vagy a moderátor módosította 2006-11-27 20:32]
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:01
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
your questions Nov 27, 2006

Szury wrote:

To his audience, to the author of the original text, and to himself. As to why, I recommend the book "If this be treason" by Gregory Rabassa for an excellent development of this topic.
I could write more but if this research project is part of your college degree I think you'd benefit much more from developing your own ideas and arguments than from writing about ours. How would you answer these questions? Write your ideas in this forum and we'll give you feedback.

Maria

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 10:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
Google Nov 27, 2006

If you search "theory of translation" on Google, you will get 116,000 hits - surely you can find some information there. Besides, you will probably need to reference written material, not personal information from translators.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
serious research Nov 27, 2006

Szury wrote:

Hello all!

Pls help if you can!

[A címsort a ProZ munkatársai vagy a moderátor módosította 2006-11-27 20:32]

Hi Szury

If the research is serious, the answers to your questions must be from documented and credible sources. For example, about fidelity, you would need to put forward arguments by reputable authors in favour of both fidelity to the author and the reader, and also discuss the circumstances in which one is more important than the other (again supporting your arguments with citations from reputable authors)..

Asking individuals their opinions is more suitable of a survey of translators.

Best of luck:-)

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are we a reliable source of information regarging translation? Nov 28, 2006

Dear Szury

Great questions!

I consider that some of us will be able to give you some information, as we are professional translators and we should know (or at least we should have our own opinion) about the translation role in society, and all other questions posed by you.

Also, I'm sure that you are aware of the well-known authors, and that you want to know our opinions (will our opinions match the theoretician's opinion?).

I promise to elabo
... See more
Dear Szury

Great questions!

I consider that some of us will be able to give you some information, as we are professional translators and we should know (or at least we should have our own opinion) about the translation role in society, and all other questions posed by you.

Also, I'm sure that you are aware of the well-known authors, and that you want to know our opinions (will our opinions match the theoretician's opinion?).

I promise to elaborate a reply for you, and I'll send it by private email in a couple of days (I’m a little bit busy right now).

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Almir Comor MITI
Almir Comor MITI  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
reliable online sources Nov 28, 2006

Hi Szury

In addition to some specific googling, there are a couple of reliable sources available online:

Meta (Translation Theory journal) - all issues available:
http://www.erudit.org/en/revue/meta/

TTR (Translation Theory journal) - some issues available:<
... See more
Hi Szury

In addition to some specific googling, there are a couple of reliable sources available online:

Meta (Translation Theory journal) - all issues available:
http://www.erudit.org/en/revue/meta/

TTR (Translation Theory journal) - some issues available:
http://www.erudit.org/en/revue/ttr/

Do some searching there, look at the titles and you'll be able to find something interesting, plus it's a reliable academic source.

Cheers
Collapse

chinesetrans
chinesetrans
Netherlands
English to Chinese
+ ...
To study HK in 1960-1980 Nov 28, 2006

Hi,Szury ,

For the translation role, you can study Hong Kong achievement durong 1960-1980 when HK became one of the 4 tiger in Asia.

During that period, translation made much contribution to the development, eps. for high-tech.

Reall Trad
Reall Trad
Local time: 19:01
Romanian to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 28, 2006

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

I promise to elaborate a reply for you, and I'll send it by private email in a couple of days (I’m a little bit busy right now).

Regards

Clarisa

Clarisa you don't have to.Actually I need this for tomorrow, but I will need it for my final exam too!You don't have to hurry with it if you are busy
Another thing is that I don't have access to the books of those authors who wrote about the theory of translation, and it is enough if you tell me your own opinions about this (it would help me a lot) or just give me a link where I can get further information.

Thank you all so much for your help.
I'm so happy that I found this forum!!!!

[Edited at 2006-11-28 15:06]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help me pls! (MOD: thesis on the theory of translation)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »