Typography as part of the translation process
Thread poster: Endre Both
Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:23
English to German
Nov 8, 2002

An interesting if rather short article for those interested in typography as part of our work:

Typography and Layout as a Translation Problem

Further links on typography and translation (in German and Finnish):

www.uta.fi/~trjusc/

[ This Message was edited by:
... See more
An interesting if rather short article for those interested in typography as part of our work:

Typography and Layout as a Translation Problem

Further links on typography and translation (in German and Finnish):

www.uta.fi/~trjusc/

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-08 22:41 ]
Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Endre Nov 8, 2002

Good article indeed...

Thank you for sharing

Nathalie

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 19:23
English
+ ...
Am too unsober Nov 9, 2002

To consider this serously this evening, but PROMISE to do so.

David Sirett
David Sirett
French to English
+ ...
A little knowledge... Nov 9, 2002

Mr Schopp is correct in his article in emphasizing that translation and typography are different and separate tasks. I\'m sure there are some translators who are also sufficiently expert in typography to accomplish both, but most of us (myself included) are quite unqualified to make typographical decisions beyond changing quotation marks into our target style. Above all, whatever the capabilities of Word/WordPerfect, they do not include production of professional-quality printer-ready layout.... See more
Mr Schopp is correct in his article in emphasizing that translation and typography are different and separate tasks. I\'m sure there are some translators who are also sufficiently expert in typography to accomplish both, but most of us (myself included) are quite unqualified to make typographical decisions beyond changing quotation marks into our target style. Above all, whatever the capabilities of Word/WordPerfect, they do not include production of professional-quality printer-ready layout.

Those who have target-specific typographic knowledge at professional level should charge separately for it. The rest of us, if we have some vague impression that typography changes are needed for target audiences, should recommend that our customer consult qualified professionals, rather than messing around ourselves.

Regards

David
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 07:23
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Thanks Endre Nov 10, 2002

That was informative, and you know I just go ahead and make these adjustments... that\'s not something I\'ve ever discussed with a supplier...

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:23
French to English
classic book on typography Nov 10, 2002

Hi,

In English, the classic book (and very deservedly

so) on typography is The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert

Bringhurst. I have version 2.4, copyright 2001 and published by Hartley & Marks.

I highly recommend this book to anyone involved

(or interested) in DTP.... See more

Hi,

In English, the classic book (and very deservedly

so) on typography is The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert

Bringhurst. I have version 2.4, copyright 2001 and published by Hartley & Marks.

I highly recommend this book to anyone involved

(or interested) in DTP.

Bruce

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-10 21:32 ]
Collapse

Marnen Laibow-Koser
Marnen Laibow-Koser
United States
Local time: 07:23
German to English
+ ...
Professional-quality layout Dec 16, 2002

Quote:

Above all, whatever the capabilities of Word/WordPerfect, they do not include production of professional-quality printer-ready layout.

Not really true, at least in my experience with MS Word. Most *users* of MS Word do not know how to produce professional-quality layout, but the program itself is quite capable of it in the hands of a typographically knowledgeable user. It\'s not 100% perfect, a
... See more
Quote:

Above all, whatever the capabilities of Word/WordPerfect, they do not include production of professional-quality printer-ready layout.

Not really true, at least in my experience with MS Word. Most *users* of MS Word do not know how to produce professional-quality layout, but the program itself is quite capable of it in the hands of a typographically knowledgeable user. It\'s not 100% perfect, and for certain things a special-purpose layout program would work better, but your assertion is just not accurate as stated.

Best,

Marnen
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Stay on the floor Dec 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-16 16:37, marnen wrote:

Quote:

Not really true, at least in my experience with MS Word. Most *users* of MS Word do not know how to produce professional-quality layout, but the program it... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-16 16:37, marnen wrote:

Quote:

Not really true, at least in my experience with MS Word. Most *users* of MS Word do not know how to produce professional-quality layout, but the program itself is quite capable of it in the hands of a typographically knowledgeable user. It\'s not 100% perfect, and for certain things a special-purpose layout program would work better, but your assertion is just not accurate as stated.

Best,

Marnen

You are surely right regarding producing well formatted documents with Word. But this is not the prpoblem here. The problem is, that Word does not produce the same effects as Pagemaker or Framemaker with professional printing machines - and really, there is no one out there using Word for publishing newspapers or books. Even if I would consider, Word is much more convenient to use as Pagemaker or Framemaker. But have you ever tried to set such parameters as lines on top or bottom of the page in Word? Word does not have the typical typographical functions professional DTP tools have.

So lets stay on the carpet - typography is not a joke. It is hard job, and most of us translators do not have any idea about it.

Jerzy ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Typography as part of the translation process

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »