Standards for typing/editing documents
Thread poster: Ruxi
Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Jan 10, 2007

Some days ago we had a discussion on national (non-English forum) about standards (internationally) used for typing and editing documents (like page layout, fonts, free spaces between or after different signs and letters, aso), as we would like to align to the EU/international rules.
I know e.g that in Germany there is a very good standard for such purpose (DIN 5008), maybe a little exagerated in details. I have learned and use this one.
Now I could not find any other standard.
... See more
Some days ago we had a discussion on national (non-English forum) about standards (internationally) used for typing and editing documents (like page layout, fonts, free spaces between or after different signs and letters, aso), as we would like to align to the EU/international rules.
I know e.g that in Germany there is a very good standard for such purpose (DIN 5008), maybe a little exagerated in details. I have learned and use this one.
Now I could not find any other standard.
Do you know such a standard in your country, or for another country? At least editors must have them.
Important would also be if there is a EU standard for such a purpose (I could not find it).
What rules/standards/norms are you using (did you get them from books, or training courses)?
Here ist the DIN 5008, so that you can understand what I mean:

http://www.din5008.de/p0400010.htm
Collapse

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:25
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
EU standard Jan 10, 2007

As much as Im aware European Comission has official standards for document editing (regarding official publications) - something like a manual - which is an obligatory thing to use for everyone (translator, editor etc) working with EU documentation that is to be published. I dont know if its available online though.

Stella

[Edited at 2007-01-10 13:16]

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:25
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Varies from sector to sector Jan 11, 2007

Here in the States there are a variety of standards. Mainstream publishing houses tend to favor the norms explained in the Chicago Manual of Style (a great reference volume, even if I think a few of the standards are completely off the mark).

Philology journals generally follow the Modern Language Association stylebook. Newspapers generally have their own standards, often based on the AP stylebook. Different military and government entities have their own standards, etc.

[Edi
... See more
Here in the States there are a variety of standards. Mainstream publishing houses tend to favor the norms explained in the Chicago Manual of Style (a great reference volume, even if I think a few of the standards are completely off the mark).

Philology journals generally follow the Modern Language Association stylebook. Newspapers generally have their own standards, often based on the AP stylebook. Different military and government entities have their own standards, etc.

[Edited at 2007-01-11 00:28]
Collapse

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:25
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
EU English style guide (not a standard) Jan 11, 2007

http://ec.europa.eu/translation/index_en.htm

Hi Ruxi,

Agree with Steven, but the site may help for some of the languages; I'm only familiar with the English one. If you press the English button, you get taken to a page with the EU style guide for translators.

All the best,
Terry

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jan 11, 2007

And Terry, thank you, the link is very usefull!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Standards for typing/editing documents

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »