Mobile menu

Diploma/transcript translation?
Thread poster: bozenalak
bozenalak
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 10, 2007

I have a diploma and transcript to translate, it's from Poland. Do you have any advice how to go about translating one? Do you happen to have a template or an example of translated transcript that I could use as a reference?

Thank you,

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:37
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Original as example Jan 10, 2007

Take the original document as an example. The translated document should look as closely as possible the same as the original. There is no template because each diploma and each transcript is different. Often formatting the document is more work than the translation itself - therefore my advice is to charge an hourly rate, not a per word rate.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would add Jan 11, 2007

I second what Tina says and would add that if the format is rather difficult, you do not need to waste time trying to make it exactly alike. As long as you can make it so people can understand the different parts and where they go, that is sufficient.

As she says, the translated document should look as much possible like the original, but you have no obligation to go overboard on that; plus the client would probably not want to pay for the extra time and work involved.

Olena Mankovska  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:37
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Names of classes Jan 11, 2007

[quote]bozenalak wrote:

I have a diploma and transcript to translate, it's from Poland. Do you have any advice how to go about translating one? Do you happen to have a template or an example of translated transcript that I could use as a reference?

Thank you,

Having agreed with the above stated, I would also like to emphasize one point. From my own experience, I also know that besides time-consuming formatting, another major issue is finding an appropriate equivalent for each class (discipline). It is important to ensure that translated names of classes taken read not only accurately (regarding translation) but appropriately for the client, context and atmosphere where they are applied, according to the understanding of native English speakers.

Often linguistically proper, but literal translation makes no sense for an end user. Therefore, when doubting, I refer to my native English speaking colleagues.

Good luck!

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:37
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
EU help Jan 16, 2007

Olena Mankovska wrote:
From my own experience, I also know that besides time-consuming formatting, another major issue is finding an appropriate equivalent for each class (discipline).

You may find appropriate glossaries in EU languages to help you with terminology, as there is more need and more co-operation in this respect between them.

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Local time: 18:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
parallel doc/website Jan 16, 2007

I would also suggest looking for a similar document in the target language. If you can't find one, I would go online and look for a website of a University offering a similar program and similar classes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Diploma/transcript translation?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs