Mobile menu

Extracting text from PDF files.
Thread poster: Alexander Chisholm

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2002

Does anyone know of a utility for extracting text from ,pdf files. It can even be unformatted etc. as long as the actual text is there.

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ... Nov 19, 2002

is a very handy tool for this.

Or try Acrobat Adobe 5.0

Good luck!

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Wordfast ( Nov 19, 2002

That\'s the tool you need!

I find it terrific, much better at reconstructing lines and paragraph than Acrobat itself! Especially if you select OptimisticPDF in the Pandora Box (options panel).

Rainbow and rain, though, it\'s a CAT tool, and it performs lots of other functions as well. Threfore it can be a bit confusing if it\'s the first time you see it.

The free trial version will do the job just as smoothly as the commercial version.

Have fun (and Wordfast)

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try Omnipage 12 Nov 19, 2002

That is the tool I use. It can be a bit expensive, but if you translate a lot of PDF files its worth every penny.

Omnipage keeps the original fonts and layout of the document.

Frank Bremster  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:01
+ ...
Finereader 6.0 Nov 19, 2002

Does the same as Omnipage. Keeps everything as it is. Also very expensive (somewhere around $700), but you can download a 30 day trial, which works perfectly.

Everything else, except for Omni and Finereader will not give you 100% Formats and pics. I\'ve tried em all!!

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Acrobat Nov 20, 2002

Buy Acrobat.

Thus you have a lot of other pdf functions as well.

United States
Local time: 11:01
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Adobe Illustrator 10 Nov 20, 2002

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks for the suggestions. Nov 20, 2002

I had never thought of trying to get an OCR program to extract the text, I may give that a try. I have a version of Finereader (it came with my scanner) but I fear it may be a lite version and not have that option, mind you I haven\'t thought of trying.

Otherwise, I have another full version OCR program I can try. I\'ll also keep trying the other options mentioned. If all fails, I may bite the bullet and buy acrobat. I don\'t have all that many .pdf files to translate but the numbers are increasing slightly. I have always used a freeware program to create .pdf files, so I had never seriously considered acrobat in tha past.

There is always the slight problem though of the security settings that have been set on the document, or is that something you can get around?

monitor  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
go professional ! Nov 20, 2002

Have a try with the products from, they are Gemini Solo and Gemini Version 4.

You can download a trial version, with some restrictions.

However, compared to other tools, it seems to me the most reliable I have come across. And with $ 159 the price is more than fair.

Then also bear in mind, that always somebody somewhere has converted the original file into that pdf-document. So it is worth asking for a word or other formated file there first.

Kind Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting text from PDF files.

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs