Mobile menu

Potential Certified Translation Workshop in Australia
Thread poster: A Hayes
A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 09:48
Feb 7, 2007

Hi there,

This post is addressed to colleagues working in Australia and New Zealand.

Over the last couple of years a number of practitioners have contacted me regarding different aspects of certified translation. This seems to indicate that there is some confusion among practising translators when it comes to certifying documents for official purposes. Therefore, I thought it might be a good idea to run a small workshop on this topic (stamping/overstamping procedures, apostilles, declarations and affidavits).

What I have in mind is a hands-on workshop with groups of up to 15 people each. My approach would be descriptive rather than prescriptive. The idea is to pass on my knowledge. Having completed one of my translation degrees in a country where the profession is regulated has given me a clear idea of how to certify translated documents. This added to my local experience, and the fact that I've also completed a translation degree here at home, makes me think that I may have something useful to contribute.

Needless to say, I don't claim to know everything or that mine is the best or only way of doing things. But my colleagues' questions have made me realise that a short and practical session might be helpful for some practising translators, even if they are qualified and experienced. Some might have been focusing on other type of translations --such as scientific or technical docs--, which aren't usually certified, while others might have obtained NAATI accreditation only recently.

This is just an idea and I was wondering how many of you would be interested. If there are at least 20 people, then I'll go ahead with it.

Workshop details

Topics: stamping/overstamping procedures, apostilles, declarations and affidavits
Groups of 10-15 people
Duration: 60-80 min.
Day: Saturday
Date: Late March (TBC)
Venue: Glenferrie Lodge, Kirribilli, on Sydney's lower North Shore. (10 min walk from Milsons Point station) http://www.glenferrielodge.com/index.php
Cost: $50 (might include morning and afternoon tea, depending on numbers).
Payment: In advance by cheque, money order or internet transfer.

Expressions of interest: Please let me know if you're interested by Thu 22 February, as I need to book the conference room.

For further information or to register your interest, please email me directly through my profile.

Regards,
Alejandra

[Edited at 2007-02-07 23:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:48
Japanese to English
Powwow? Feb 7, 2007

Hi Alejandra,

Would you consider combining/following this with a Powwow?
Your motivation is admirable!

Kathy

P.S. Luuurve the location btw!

A Hayes
Australia
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Kathy! Feb 7, 2007

The idea of an impromptu powwow did cross my mind... though it wouldn't be a proz one.

Will confirm details in a couple of weeks, once I know if this is happening or not.

Cheers,

a.

A Hayes
Australia
TOPIC STARTER
Tentative Date Feb 9, 2007

Tentative Date: Saturday 24 March (TBC)
Tentative Times:
Group 1 (10-15 people): 11 AM to 12.15 PM
Group 2 (10-15 people): 2 PM to 3.15 PM

A Hayes
Australia
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmed details Feb 13, 2007

Certified Translation Workshop

Date: Saturday 17 March

Time: 2 PM

Venue: Kirribilli Neighbourhood Centre

Address: 16-18 Fitzroy Street, Kirribilli NSW 2061

Room: The Gallery (1st Floor)

Registration Deadline: Thursday 8 March 2007

Cost: $50

Payment: In advance by cheque, money order or internet transfer.

For further information or to register your interest, please email me through my profile.

Regards,

A.

[Edited at 2007-02-13 11:54]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Potential Certified Translation Workshop in Australia

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs