Translation and Politics:-Translation without border.
Thread poster: Ethiotrans
Ethiotrans
Ethiotrans
Local time: 23:27
Member (2004)
Amharic to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2007

Translation and Politics

Language does not have border. That means even two countries who are political enemies may share the same language. Let us say we have two countres, country A and country B . These two counties are sharing the same language but they are political enemies. Let us say you live in country A and you get a project that looks like generated by county B talks about some thing about county A political situation. Your client gave the content you to translate.
... See more
Translation and Politics

Language does not have border. That means even two countries who are political enemies may share the same language. Let us say we have two countres, country A and country B . These two counties are sharing the same language but they are political enemies. Let us say you live in country A and you get a project that looks like generated by county B talks about some thing about county A political situation. Your client gave the content you to translate. The client does not have any interest about the message of the document but they need it for some other purpose. Also the client is not from either countries and does not have any idea about this problem.
How do you handle such issues? have you fased similar issues before? We face a similar issue as we speak and we are designing a simple site to our message to our translators. The theme of our site will be “Translation without border”

[Edited at 2007-02-28 07:57]
Collapse

Danu
Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Local time: 09:27
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
Sure! translation is sans frontier! Feb 28, 2007

I have understood your conerns very well. I had one project (volunteer work) from non-profit organization to finish the already started book off since the person who was from the other country (Ethiopia - I am from Eritrea) could not able to finilize it. I continued the work and finished it. I believe translation is not influenced by political situation if you are not supposed to be inclined to that.

You have to work hard to produce a perfect translation work irrespective of the doc
... See more
I have understood your conerns very well. I had one project (volunteer work) from non-profit organization to finish the already started book off since the person who was from the other country (Ethiopia - I am from Eritrea) could not able to finilize it. I continued the work and finished it. I believe translation is not influenced by political situation if you are not supposed to be inclined to that.

You have to work hard to produce a perfect translation work irrespective of the document type. You should be a nice middle-person to convery the message of the document clearly to the ultimate person. Hope my understanding is clear to you.

Don't be baised by political situation but only concentrate on the quality of work.

Thanks
Danu

[Edited at 2007-02-28 15:43]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation and Politics:-Translation without border.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »