About funds translation
Thread poster: winniewen
winniewen
Local time: 17:55
English to Chinese
Mar 15, 2007

Hello,

Does anybody have the experience of translating funds for financial services? Would you please give me a basic description about the work? Many thanks.

Winnie

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
It's a lot of work! :0) Mar 15, 2007

It's usually a big translation with very technical language. You will find funds translations in many languages in the Internet.

canaria
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
extremely difficult Mar 15, 2007

winniewen wrote:

Hello,

Does anybody have the experience of translating funds for financial services? Would you please give me a basic description about the work? Many thanks.

Winnie

This is extremely difficult stuff if you are not familiar with the subject matter. You can't guess and you often can't rely on information that has been posted on the internet. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't have a financial background, unless you are willing to put an awful lot of time and effort into your research. Good luck.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
not for newbies Mar 15, 2007

This is extremely difficult stuff if you are not familiar with the subject matter. You can't guess and you often can't rely on information that has been posted on the internet. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't have a financial background, unless you are willing to put an awful lot of time and effort into your research. Good luck. [/quote]

Agree - this is an area of translation that should not be done by people who are not completely au fait with the subject.

[Edited at 2007-03-15 19:21]

smorales30  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Educate yourself Mar 15, 2007

I agree this is a highly technical translation field. My advice: read financial books both in the original and target language. Also read daily the economic section of the newspaper. Yahoo has a good financial news section.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
For the rest of us... Mar 16, 2007

winniewen wrote:
Does anybody have the experience of translating funds for financial services?

For the rest of us who don't know, tell us what is "funds translation"? What do you translate? And typically for whom?

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
To Samuel Mar 16, 2007

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

For the rest of us who don't know, tell us what is "funds translation"? What do you translate? And typically for whom?

Hi Samuel,

A short description on Funds:

Basically, funds are like shares of a certain company, but have a certain maturity.

Usually, when a company (Bank, insurer) wants to raise its capital, it usually does it through funds.

There are lots of kinds of funds, with different yields.

The employees or other investors can buy the funds and participate in the company's capital.

I hope it helped. You will find much more if you research about it.

Regards,
Ivana

winniewen
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Brilliant replies! Mar 16, 2007

Many thanks guys for the kind replies and now I believe many of us have got a better understanding now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About funds translation

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs