Mobile menu

word count in Word and Trados
Thread poster: syllvia
syllvia  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:28
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Dec 4, 2002

Can anyone tell me why Word and Trados give different word counts? (Word gives a much higher count.)

Direct link Reply with quote

mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:28
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It has happened to me some times Dec 4, 2002

Especially if the document holds tables or text boxes and trados does not \'get in there\'.

Good luck!

Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:28
English to German
+ ...
That's strange, I've often found the opposite to be true -- Dec 5, 2002

the Trados analysis would actually give a higher count on a document than Word (for an English source text, fairly straight-forward formatting, i.e. some tables, but no text boxes or anything fancy, and analyzed against an exisiting TM). When I counted the same document with Practiline just to compare counts, Practiline agreed with the (lower) word count generated by Word.

Francisca Villena Díaz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:28
German to Spanish
+ ...
It depends on the content of the docs Dec 5, 2002

Trados counts also the words in text boxes, Word doesn´t. So if there are text boxes in the document, the Trados count will be higher than Word count. On the other hand, Trados does not count numbers, but Word does. So, if in the document there are a lot of numbers, Word count will be higher than Trados count.

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados does not count numbers Dec 5, 2002

One of the reasons why Word oftentimes gives a higher word count than Trados is that Trados ignores most numbers, vignettes, etc. Therefore, if you have a Word document such as a P&L Statement, Trados would only count the actual words and ignore all of the figures, while Word would include all the numbers in its count.

Having said that, keep in mind that Word ignores any text in text boxes, headers and footers and in footnotes (which can amount to quite a bit in some documents.

Unfortunately, so far no one has come up with a protocol that would be accepted by all parties involved.

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:28
Danish to English
+ ...
word count Dec 5, 2002

I have also found a difference in word count between Trados and MS Word and make a slight adjustment when billing my customers; I calculate for repeats, etc. and therefore, I use the count difference as a \"guideline\" since comparing Trados and Word is like comparing apples with oranges. It in the end depends on your contract with your client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

word count in Word and Trados

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs