Mobile menu

New UK National Occupational Standards for Translation
Thread poster: Julian Wood

Julian Wood  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
Czech to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2007

I went down to London last week to take part in a focus group working on the National Occupational Standards for Translation. It was extremely interesting. There were a range of people at the group, and we had a rather passionate discussion of the standards which are being written, including a key issue of whether there should be two levels of standards, one for translators new to the profession, and a higher one for 'expert' translators who had developed and refined a wide range of skills in translation.
CILT are still looking for input, so let me know if you'd like me to dig out the contact details in London.

Direct link Reply with quote

Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
English to French
yes please Mar 22, 2007

Julian,

I would be interested to have more details (I would have liked to go...)

Thanks

Carole

Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Details Mar 22, 2007

Hi
These were the original details, with Birgit as the contact:
Birgit.Stoberock@cilt.org.uk>

Development of Revised Standards in Translation Focus Group - CILT
CILT, the National Centre for Languages, is currently working with partners in the professional bodies, with employers and with educational institutions to review the UK National Occupational Standards in Translation.

The Standards will constitute the professional benchmark of competence, setting out what individuals need to be able to do, and the skills and knowledge they need, to perform their role.

The aim of this work is to enhance understanding within and outside the field of what professional translation is; to create an underpinning framework for the development of qualifications and training courses; to help individual professionals identify their strengths, weaknesses and areas for professional development; and ultimately, to enhance access to and progression within the profession.

If you work in the field of translation (e.g. as a practising translator, employer or trainer/lecturer) or are undergoing training to enter the profession, we would like to invite you to contribute to this review by attending one of the following focus groups:
12 March: CILT, the National Centre for Languages
17:00-19:30 London

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
thanks... and some Qs Mar 22, 2007

Julian Wood wrote:

I went down to London last week to take part in a focus group working on the National Occupational Standards for Translation. It was extremely interesting. There were a range of people at the group, and we had a rather passionate discussion of the standards which are being written, including a key issue of whether there should be two levels of standards, one for translators new to the profession, and a higher one for 'expert' translators who had developed and refined a wide range of skills in translation.
CILT are still looking for input, so let me know if you'd like me to dig out the contact details in London.

Hi Julian

Thanks for this info:-)

2 questions:

a) is this totally independent of the EN-15038 European Quality Standard for Translation Services, approved earlier this year?

b) I wonder how the 'levels' of expertise would work in practice???

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Mar 22, 2007

Like it or not (my hackles are rising as usual!), we all need to be aware of this. Thank you Julian! I´ll be following the leads.

Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
answers Mar 22, 2007

Your 2 questions:

a) is this totally independent of the EN-15038 European Quality Standard for Translation Services, approved earlier this year?
Yes, it is. The EN-15038 was discussed, as a reference point. I'm not quite sure how much I can say, but if you contact them, you could ask them.

This was also discussed. It seemed like a good idea to me to have levels, but difficult in practice, as each translator is at a different level.
However, from a freelancer's perspective, many of the standards could help even as a simple checklist of what one can and cannot do personally, and goals to work towards.

For a flavour of how they work, take a look at the NOS's for languages- http://www.cilt.org.uk/standards/languages.htm

Actually, you can follow the whole review of NOS's for translation here, http://www.cilt.org.uk/standards/phase2report.rtf, and give your input

Interesting?
[/quote]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
read these:-) Mar 22, 2007

Julian Wood wrote:

Your 2 questions:

Yes, it is. The EN-15038 was discussed, as a reference point. I'm not quite sure how much I can say, but if you contact them, you could ask them.

This was also discussed. It seemed like a good idea to me to have levels, but difficult in practice, as each translator is at a different level.
However, from a freelancer's perspective, many of the standards could help even as a simple checklist of what one can and cannot do personally, and goals to work towards.

For a flavour of how they work, take a look at the NOS's for languages- http://www.cilt.org.uk/standards/languages.htm

Actually, you can follow the whole review of NOS's for translation here, http://www.cilt.org.uk/standards/phase2report.rtf, and give your input

Interesting?
[/quote]

Thanks Julian

Actually, in regard to non-expert vs non-expert, one way of getting upgraded could be on the basis of certified CPD and other benchmarking (although how, what, who, when, where!!!)

I read the texts, but they weren't very clear or even meaty! The EN-15038 clearly spells out a process.

I'll be watching this space:-) Thanks for the info.

Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EN-15038 and NOS's Mar 22, 2007

Hi
I did hear that EN-15038 talks more about the translation process than the translator and what s/he does- true?

The NOS's are not binding, or will not be a pre-requisite of any kind, they are more just guidelines for translators, agencies and companies ordering translation jobs.

José Nolasco
El Salvador
Local time: 23:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would like to have more details about the Standards for Translation Sep 3, 2007

This is an outstanding news. I´m attending to a Master Degree Program in Translation English to Spanish in El Salvador and I´m an educator with a PGCE awarded by the Bolton Institute of Higher Education (now the University of Bolton) and I have applied the former FENTO standards for Teaching, so I´d love to have the entire documents about the Standards for Translation Services. Congratulations for this effort.
José Héctor Nolasco

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New UK National Occupational Standards for Translation

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs