Transcribing and translating from audio
Thread poster: georg schreiner
georg schreiner
georg schreiner
Local time: 22:51
German to English
Dec 9, 2002

I\'ve just been given a video tape to translate, of a speech and press conference. While both the transcribing and translating are both managable, I was wondering if anyone has any tips in this department. Most of all I need to quote a reasonably accurate price before I even transcribe the text. Does anyone know what is standard practice for estimating a word count for or billing for transcribed audio? (In this case approx. 60 minutes of continuous dialog) Thanks!

Armando Pattroni
Armando Pattroni  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends Dec 9, 2002

It always depends on the market you are in. In my case, in Peru, I charge $10 per minute/tape, and this job includes transcription, translation and subtitling of the video tape. I hope it helps.

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:51
Danish to English
+ ...
transcribing/translating Dec 10, 2002

I charge by the hour when transcribing a tape that also has to be translated, as it isn\'t known at onset what the word count is. I charge US$0.15/60 spaces for transcription alone. From experience, you need to make sure you have a solid contract on what you will charge or you won\'t get paid. (I have yet to be paid from doing a tape that had a very garbled and difficult to understand speech, which took a long time to decipher and little time to translate).

[ This Message wa
... See more
I charge by the hour when transcribing a tape that also has to be translated, as it isn\'t known at onset what the word count is. I charge US$0.15/60 spaces for transcription alone. From experience, you need to make sure you have a solid contract on what you will charge or you won\'t get paid. (I have yet to be paid from doing a tape that had a very garbled and difficult to understand speech, which took a long time to decipher and little time to translate).

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-10 00:34 ]
Collapse

Carolyn Denoncourt
Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:51
French to English
+ ...
Charge for your time Dec 10, 2002

It is meaningless to try to use a word count when you are dealing with audio. People speak at different rates, and you must put in your time to listen to it all and transcribe it.

jmf (X)
jmf (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with above responses Dec 10, 2002

I have done this sort of work 4 times so far and have always charged by the hour (at my minimum hourly rate). Also, if you have one available, it helps to use a transcriber machine with a foot pedal, and of course a head set. This will save you a great deal of time. Best of luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcribing and translating from audio

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »