https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/7133-some_homemade_shortcut_keys_in_trados.html

Some homemade shortcut keys in Trados
Thread poster: Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:24
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 17, 2002

I just want to share my experience about making some additional shortcut keys when working with Trados. These shortcut keys might be useful for someone.

(Most people, however, don’t like shortcut keys at all and/or don’t like/use Trados. Secondly I have to say that this is a rather technical explanation and could put some people off.)

Why do I prefer using shortcut keys, and what is the reason for these additional shortcut keys?

In my opinion, (shortc
... See more
I just want to share my experience about making some additional shortcut keys when working with Trados. These shortcut keys might be useful for someone.

(Most people, however, don’t like shortcut keys at all and/or don’t like/use Trados. Secondly I have to say that this is a rather technical explanation and could put some people off.)

Why do I prefer using shortcut keys, and what is the reason for these additional shortcut keys?

In my opinion, (shortcut) keys have the following advantages above the mouse:

* Speed, concentration and ease

* Less chance of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)

Speed, concentration and ease:

A mouse and cursor move, which means that you sometimes have to “search” for them. The keys on your keyboard, however, don’t move. Hence, you work faster, and the chance of typing a wrong key (combination) is far less than that of clicking on a wrong button.

Less chance of RSI:

When you have a lot of short segments or when you have to proofread segments that you almost know are correct, then you often have to use “Set/Close Next Open/Get”. However, frequently using the mouse gets boring, and (even worse) can result in RSI. Typing alone, of course, can also result in RSI, but I think there is a smaller chance. For example, using your mouse always requires using the same finger, and you need to press the mouse button relatively hard.

Now, I know that Trados already has shortcut keys. For instance, \"[Alt] + [+]\" is supposed to be used for “Set/Close Next Open/Get” ([+] being the plus sign on the numeric keypad).This key combination, however, doesn\'t seem optimal to me because you need two hands. This reduces your speed and is also boring.

Generally speaking, since you use your right hand more than your left one (for right-handed people), I created my own shortcut keys for the left hand about a year ago. They suited me very well. Here they are:

[Alt] + [z] Open

[Alt] + [a] Set/Close Next Open/Get

[Alt] + [q] Close

[Alt] + [e] Copy Source

[Alt] + [r] Restore Source

I think you use [Alt] + [q], [a], [z] very often, so these are arranged on a row. \"[Alt] + [a]\" is especially easy to access - you use this one the most. Particularly, you use this one very frequently when editing short segments.

How to create these shortcut keys?

Actually, you don’t create shortcut keys; you create macros and assign shortcut keys to them.

For instance, to make the macro and corresponding shortcut key for “Open” in MS Word 2000, you do the following:

1) Select Tools, Macro, Record New Macro

2) Name the macro (for instance \"additional_shortcutkey_Open”: you can always find this one again - do not use periods or spaces, else it will produce an error)

3) If not already set, set the option \"Store macro in:\" to \"Normal.dot\"

4) Click on the “Keyboard” icon under \"Assign macro to:\" (a window labelled \"Customize Keyboard\" will appear)

5) In the input box labelled \"Press new shortcut key:\" type in [Alt] & [z] simultaneously (see NOTE below!)

6) Click on “Assign”

7) Click on “Close” (a small toolbar will appear)

Type [Alt] & [Home] simultaneously (you can find “Home” on your numeric keypad - \"7\" on some keyboards).

9) Click on the square on the toolbar “Stop Recording” (if this toolbar doesn\'t appear, then select Tools, Macro, Stop Recording from the main toolbar).

Now you are finished with your first macro. You create the other ones in a similar way.

New shortcut key Trados command Trados shortcut key (num. keypad) name

[Alt] + [z] Open [Alt] + [7] additional_shortcutkey_Open

[Alt] + [a] Set/Close Next Open/Get [Alt] + [+] additional_shortcutkey_Next

[Alt] + [q] Close [Alt] + [1] additional_shortcutkey_Close

[Alt] + [e] Copy Source [Alt] + [0] additional_shortcutkey_Copy

[Alt] + [r] Restore Source [Alt] + [.] additional_shortcutkey_Restore

NOTE: It\'s possible that the shortcut key you want to create is already in use (for instance, by Word). In that case you will see “Currently assigned to: ....”. At that point, it\'s best if you select another key combination if it\'s already assigned. Otherwise, you will overwrite the old shortcut. If the key combination is _not_ already assigned, then you will see \"[unassigned]\" under the label \"Currently assigned to:\". After selecting an unassigned shortcut, you can continue to step 6.

Using only your thumb and forefinger of your left hand can be quite relaxed, especially when editing/proofreading.

If you don’t like these additional keys or made a mistake with one of them, open the Macro dialog box by pressing [Alt] + [F8] (or selecting Tools, Macro, Macros…). Next, select the appropriate shortcut key, and press the Delete button. When the dialog box appears, click \"Yes\" to confirm the delete.

I want to thank Bryan Crumpler for testing, editing and extending this explanation!!!

Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I use shortcuts too Dec 17, 2002

But there is no need to set new macros for shortcuts. It is simply enough to assign the desired shortcuts to existing TRADOS-macros in Word.

So you can save work before you begin to use your work-saving shortcuts.

Go to Extra - Adapt (or Modify or something similar - I have inly german Word here). This is the section you can adapt your settings for tool bars and so on. There is a switch for keyboard. Press it. You´ll see an assignmet of commands and descriptions i
... See more
But there is no need to set new macros for shortcuts. It is simply enough to assign the desired shortcuts to existing TRADOS-macros in Word.

So you can save work before you begin to use your work-saving shortcuts.

Go to Extra - Adapt (or Modify or something similar - I have inly german Word here). This is the section you can adapt your settings for tool bars and so on. There is a switch for keyboard. Press it. You´ll see an assignmet of commands and descriptions in the upper part and shortcuts in the lower part of this dialog box. In the left upper part scroll down, until you see Macros. Then select the needed macro and assign the desired shortcut for it. THAT´S ALL FOLKS.

Jerzy
Collapse

Bruno Piatti
Bruno Piatti  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Absolutely agree! Dec 17, 2002

Hi Henk

Absolutely agree!

I\'m also using this kind of shortkeys and I\'d like to give you my contribute.

Those shorts are very useful on mobile computers; in fact the original Trados keys (with +, - and other keypad keys) aren\'t very easy to use with mobile PC keyboard; sometimes those keys (+, - and so on) require another key combination.

I prefer ALT+q for Set/Close Next Open/Get, but only this combination is more ergonomic (the \'Q\' key is far away
... See more
Hi Henk

Absolutely agree!

I\'m also using this kind of shortkeys and I\'d like to give you my contribute.

Those shorts are very useful on mobile computers; in fact the original Trados keys (with +, - and other keypad keys) aren\'t very easy to use with mobile PC keyboard; sometimes those keys (+, - and so on) require another key combination.

I prefer ALT+q for Set/Close Next Open/Get, but only this combination is more ergonomic (the \'Q\' key is far away from ALT key).

Ciao

Bruno

Collapse

Eivind Lilleskjaeret
Eivind Lilleskjaeret  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Brilliant! Dec 17, 2002

Thanks Henk,

Usually I work on a laptop with a full keyboard connected to it. Which means I have to carry the extra keyboard around with me if I want to work in Trados, owing to the fact that Bruno mentioned: Some core Trados key combinations are easily produced on a laptop\'s keyboard. Now the days of lugging that bldy keyboard around are over!

Thanks one mor
... See more
Thanks Henk,

Usually I work on a laptop with a full keyboard connected to it. Which means I have to carry the extra keyboard around with me if I want to work in Trados, owing to the fact that Bruno mentioned: Some core Trados key combinations are easily produced on a laptop\'s keyboard. Now the days of lugging that bldy keyboard around are over!

Thanks one more time.

Eivind
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:24
Danish to English
+ ...
Trados shortcut Dec 17, 2002

I used a similar process for a while, but after switching to a voice recognition program (Dragon), I have made my life a bit esier whether desktop or portable PC is being used. I recommend it. Caviat: Long, long learning curve. During this very long learning curve, both for me to use the program, and for the program to learn my native tongue (which doesn\'t come with the program), I used both keyboard and voice activation, but now primarily voice activation.

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:24
Dutch to English
+ ...
overwriting the oldies Dec 17, 2002

Quote:

Go to Extra - Adapt (or Modify or something similar - I have inly german Word here).

This has always baffeled me. Why in the world did Microsoft translate \"tools\" into the word \"extra\"??? Doesn\'t make much sense at all... and it\'s the same for the Dutch versions as it is German. Odd...

For people who just want to overwrite the Trados macros instead of create new ones, ... See more
Quote:

Go to Extra - Adapt (or Modify or something similar - I have inly german Word here).

This has always baffeled me. Why in the world did Microsoft translate \"tools\" into the word \"extra\"??? Doesn\'t make much sense at all... and it\'s the same for the Dutch versions as it is German. Odd...

For people who just want to overwrite the Trados macros instead of create new ones, he\'s talking about the following options in the English version:

1) Select Tools, Customize

2) Click the button labelled \"Keyboard\" (a window labelled \"Customize Keyboard will appear)

3) Scroll down in the \"Categories\" box & select \"Macros\" (the list of macros will appear to the right)

4) Select the macro you wish to change, and type the appropriate key combination in the input box labelled \"Press new shortcut key:\"

5) Click \"Assign\"

6) Click \"Close\"

and you\'re done...

The Trados macros are names \"tw4win...\" For example, \"Set/Close Next Open/Get\" is named something like \"tw4winSetCloseOpenGet.Main\"

HTH ▲ Collapse

Henk Peelen
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
thanks Dec 18, 2002

I appreciate the interest and reactions from all of you. Very interesting and instructive to hear how you feel about this kind of things.

I guess Microsoft translated Tools by Extra because the litteral translations hulpmiddelen / Hilfsmittel would use too much space on your toolbar

[Edited at 2003-10-10 16:38]

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
slightly off-topic Dec 30, 2002

Hi,

I have been using WF for almost a year now, but aquired a second hand copy of Trados. My first reaction was \"Damn, WF is so much cooler...\" but I am now seeing some of the advantages of Trados.

But one thing drives me nuts, I can\'t seem to go to previous segments (ALT up arrow in WF) Does anyone know if there is an easy solution (besides closing and reopening at previous segment ?)

Any help on this matter highly appreciated.... See more
Hi,

I have been using WF for almost a year now, but aquired a second hand copy of Trados. My first reaction was \"Damn, WF is so much cooler...\" but I am now seeing some of the advantages of Trados.

But one thing drives me nuts, I can\'t seem to go to previous segments (ALT up arrow in WF) Does anyone know if there is an easy solution (besides closing and reopening at previous segment ?)

Any help on this matter highly appreciated.

Collapse

Henk Peelen
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
don't know Aug 14, 2003

Michael Bastin wrote:

Hi,

But one thing drives me nuts, I can't seem to go to previous segments (ALT up arrow in WF) Does anyone know if there is an easy solution (besides closing and reopening at previous segment ?)

Any help on this matter highly appreciated.

That's a feature I've always been missing in Trados (although I never used another CAT tool that featured it). Another disadvantage of the newer Trados versions is in my opinion the fact that selecting till the end of the line with keys (so: Shift + End, a very usefull method for deleting the remnant of the source text) includes the paragraph sign. Doing so and subsequently clicking the Delete key gives you problems. In Trados 2.2 the alinea paragraph was not included while you were selecting with Shift + End. Much more comfortable!

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
solution Aug 24, 2003

Henk Peelen wrote:

That's a feature I've always been missing in Trados (although I never used another CAT tool that featured it).

I found the perfect solution there http://geocities.com/wordfast/downgrade.html
I can now used Trados like Wordfast, isn't it great ?

Another disadvantage of the newer Trados versions is in my opinion the fact that selecting till the end of the line with keys (so: Shift + End, a very usefull method for deleting the remnant of the source text) includes the paragraph sign. Doing so and subsequently clicking the Delete key gives you problems. In Trados 2.2 the alinea paragraph was not included while you were selecting with Shift + End. Much more comfortable!

I have the same problem, I like to delete the end of the sentence with shift + end, but often distroy the code, so instead I do it with Shift + right arrow, which is much more cumbersome.

Henk Peelen
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Small macro to copy begin and end tags Jan 15, 2004

While working with Trados, you quite often find fuzzy matches which need to be complementend by a begin or end tag from the source segment.
I (and I guess most people) always translate for instance RTF’s converted form DTP software, in the order:
1 translate body
2 proofread body
3 translate table of contents
3 proofread table of contents
because it’s difficult to translate the tabel of contents if you don’t know the exact meaning of the headers. So, in
... See more
While working with Trados, you quite often find fuzzy matches which need to be complementend by a begin or end tag from the source segment.
I (and I guess most people) always translate for instance RTF’s converted form DTP software, in the order:
1 translate body
2 proofread body
3 translate table of contents
3 proofread table of contents
because it’s difficult to translate the tabel of contents if you don’t know the exact meaning of the headers. So, in step 3 you’ll find the headers you translated in step 1, but now preceded and followed by some tags.
Imagine you need to copy a begin tag: you put the cursor behind that tag, press Shift + Home and Ctrl + C, go to the begin of the target segment and press Ctrl + V. If you need to copy a (the) end tag(s), you put the cursor befor these tag(s), press Shift + End (and eventually arrow left, see below) and Ctrl + C, go to the end of the target segment and press Ctrl + V.

Quite easy, even for me. So, I thought it must be possible to automate this somewhat

*******Recording a macro for the front part*******
Firstly, put the cursor behind the part you want to copy!

01 Select Tools, Macro, Record New Macro
02 Name the macro (for instance "additional_shortcutkey_copy_front_part”
03 Click on the “Keyboard” icon under "Assign macro to”
04 In the input box labelled "Press new shortcut key:" type in [Alt] & [F] simultaneously *)
05 Click on “Assign”
06 Click on “Close” (a small toolbar will appear)
07 Type [Shift] & [Home] simultaneously
08 Type [Ctrl] & [C] simultaneously
09 Press “arrow down” two times
10 Press [Home]
11 Press [Ctrl] + [V]
12 Click on the square on the toolbar “Stop Recording” (if this toolbar doesn't appear, then select Tools, Macro, Stop Recording from the main toolbar).

*******Recording a macro for the end part*******
Firstly, put the cursor for the part you want to copy!

01 Select Tools, Macro, Record New Macro
02 Name the macro (for instance "additional_shortcutkey_copy_end_part”
03 Click on the “Keyboard” icon under "Assign macro to:"
04 In the input box labelled "Press new shortcut key:" type in [Alt] & [J] simultaneously *)
05 Click on “Assign”
06 Click on “Close” (a small toolbar will appear)
07 Hold [Shift] and press [End] followd by “arrow left”**)
08 Type [Ctrl] & [C] simultaneously
09 Press “arrow down” two times
10 Press [End]
11 Press [Ctrl] + [V]
12 Click on the square on the toolbar “Stop Recording” (if this toolbar doesn't appear, then select Tools, Macro, Stop Recording from the main toolbar).

*) Please note that I don’t know whether the letters F and J for the shortcuts are free on your keyboard. If not so, “Currently assigned to ...” will appear in step 4 and you’d better delete this one and choose another letter.

**) This “arrow left” is needed in Trados 5.0 and higher because Shift + End includes the line break. It is not needed in Trados 3.0 or earlier, or when you installed the patch Micheal Bastin suggested above.

Of course, the macros works for other stuff than macros as well.

Nota Bene: the first macro only works for one line source segments. The second one only works for one line target segments; the source segment may be longer, but the part to copy must be in the last line. If you would automate this copy work for longer segments, you need to include more “arrow down”s.

The letters F and J of the shortcuts are for beFore and beJond. They are symmetrically and logically perfect arranged for this job. Purists may prefer the “y” for beyond.

Overview of the shortcuts I use to enlighten working in Trados

Alt +......Operation
Z..............Open segment
A..............Set/Close Next Open/Get
Q..............Close
E..............Copy Source
R..............Restore Source
S, G.........Get translation
F..............Copy front part of source segment
J...............Copy end part of source segment

Success!
Collapse

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
"Get Translation" shortcut in Trados PowerPoint T-Window Jul 25, 2004

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether it is possible to do a "Get Translation" WITH THE KEYBOARD in Trados PowerPoint T-Window?

I am doing a large PowerPoint project, using TagEditor is not an option here, and I often find myself in the following situation:

- go to next segment
- no match, hence nothing gets inserted
- segment is partial => expand segment
- now there is a match
- but it doesn't get inserted...
See more
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether it is possible to do a "Get Translation" WITH THE KEYBOARD in Trados PowerPoint T-Window?

I am doing a large PowerPoint project, using TagEditor is not an option here, and I often find myself in the following situation:

- go to next segment
- no match, hence nothing gets inserted
- segment is partial => expand segment
- now there is a match
- but it doesn't get inserted

So, I have to reach for the mouse and click the "Get Translation" icon (down arrow) in the T-window toolbar. This is the only button I ever use, and I am forced to use it. Since I am a keyboard-only, fast typist, and since this situation can arise hundreds of time in a single file, this is very cumbersome indeed.

I know how to assign a keyboard shortcut to "Get Translation" in Word, but obviously this doesn't work in the T-Window.

Any idea?

Would there be an option somewhere, that says: "when some match is available after you 'expand segment, insert it for Christ sake"?

Thanks for listening.

Jacques
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some homemade shortcut keys in Trados

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »