Silvia Oviedo Lopez
Silvia Oviedo Lopez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 29, 2007

Hi,

I am doing a sworn translation of a Birth Certificate from English into Spanish. This certificate is legalized (it has an apostille), but I don't know if I should include this apostille in the sworn translation or just refer to it (I don't know if it is legal to translate and swear this kind of document). I have read that apostilles should not be translated, since they are legal documents in all countries party to the Hague Convention.
Has anyone been in this situation?... See more
Hi,

I am doing a sworn translation of a Birth Certificate from English into Spanish. This certificate is legalized (it has an apostille), but I don't know if I should include this apostille in the sworn translation or just refer to it (I don't know if it is legal to translate and swear this kind of document). I have read that apostilles should not be translated, since they are legal documents in all countries party to the Hague Convention.
Has anyone been in this situation?
Thanks for your help
Collapse

Draga Crisan
Draga Crisan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:08
Romanian to English
+ ...
Apostille Apr 29, 2007

I'm a sworn translator as well asnd we do have to translate apostilles! Absolutely! I'm authorised by the Romanian Embassy in London and they won't accept a document unless the apostill has been translated as well.

Carla G..
Carla G..
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Apr 29, 2007

At least here in Portugal the legal entities ask for the translation of the Apostille. I have translated several apostilles from several countries.
You should however translate everything, including rubber stamps.

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:08
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Official translation Apr 29, 2007

Get the text of the Hague Convention in Spanish - it has the official text of Apostille in that language. Use it.
Alternatively, there should be a local law/regulation that governs usage of apostille in your country - it should have the apostille form in your language as well.

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Absolutely. Apr 29, 2007

At least in Uruguay sworn translators must translate Apostilles. Otherwise, the translation is not complete.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, I think so. Apr 29, 2007

silviaoviedo wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone been in this situation?
Thanks for your help

I think the apostille should be translated too. You can indicate that it is an apostille either in the text or as a footnote.
I've wondered, too, about translating the rubber stamps appended to documents later by someone else - often only partly legible, but I usually translate as much of them as I can read, indicating that it's a rubber stamp.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, Everything should be translated Apr 29, 2007

I am a sworn translator in Suriname and yes, everything (including the apostille) should be translated. In fact every cross through, added correction, etc.

The translation should be a faithful reperesentation of the original.

Good luck!
Lucinda

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Apr 30, 2007

Judging from the fact that I have been given many apostilles to translate, my answer is yes, an apostille should be translated.

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:08
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes Apr 30, 2007

When I was asked to translate an apostille for the first time, I thought "Well, the apostille was invented for the very reason of avoiding the need to translate ... so why translate?" My client then made clear that even though he knew that p.3 was the certifier's function, he could not understand what it was, for instance. And he wanted to make sure that 01/02/04 meant Feb 1, 2004 and not Jan 2 or even Feb 4, 2001 ...

Monica Tuduce
Monica Tuduce  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:08
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Yes, but not the title Apr 30, 2007

I can not find right now the site where I read that the title should not be translated:

APOSTILLE
(Convention de la Haye du 5 octobre 1961)

This part must remain in French, that's why we have it always in French.

I found the Convention text, in var
... See more
I can not find right now the site where I read that the title should not be translated:

APOSTILLE
(Convention de la Haye du 5 octobre 1961)

This part must remain in French, that's why we have it always in French.

I found the Convention text, in various languages:
http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=conventions.publications&dtid=21&cid=41
At the 4th article, you can find what I have just said to you: The title should remain in French, even if each country translates the rest of text in its own language.
Collapse

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:08
English to Russian
+ ...
Translate everything, unless otherwise required by the client. Apr 30, 2007

Karlotta wrote:

You should however translate everything, including rubber stamps.

...and seals and just stamps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should an apostille be translated?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »