Mobile menu

Website localisation: which tools?
Thread poster: chaoslocke
Local time: 23:18
French to German
+ ...
May 5, 2007

Helle everyone!

I'm writing a paper about website localisation.

Which tools are the most commenly used?

Content Manager?

Thanks for your answers:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados May 6, 2007

Most of my clients ask me to do this kind of stuff in Trados TagEditor. But I hear Atril Deja Vu is very good too.
I wouldn't use NVU or another web editor, as that doesn't contain any TM functionality.

French to Dutch
+ ...
As far as I can see May 6, 2007

either Excel/Word, either content management tools. I have Catscradle on my computer, I know how it works, but never used it. In the past, I translated some websites in Word, but there are less and less static websites. But there are lots of clients who send strings in Excel and someone (not the translator) puts them in the website.

Some problems of content management translating for the translator:
- ergonomy: often small characters which cannot be adjusted (I wear spectacles)
- one cannot use "normal" tools such as the Word spellchecker
- one cannot use CAT-tools (however, sometimes the software has a feature for repetitions)
- the bits and pieces are not necessarily presented in a logical order: risk of errors, style problem
- if the bits are very small (one sentence cut in three pieces, for instance), there is a problem in translating from English or French into Germanic languages, where the verb has to be at the end of the sentence
- if the translation has to be done online: the translator must have a reliable ADSL connexion
- in short, this is something invented by webdesigners, not by translators. I suppose it is less costly or easier to manage than other methods, but the end result may be deceiving from a stylistic point of view.

I have another question: is website translation now replacing translation of printed brochures, magazines, newsletters and paper documentation of all kinds?

xxxhanan hussei
English to Arabic
+ ...
Trados May 6, 2007

I think CAT tools ( Trados) is the required software

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website localisation: which tools?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs