Mobile menu

Nabokov's translation theory
Thread poster: kkosciukiewicz
kkosciukiewicz
Local time: 04:56
English to Polish
May 11, 2007

Hi. i'm on my second year of Appliend Linguistic and should write a work concerining the influence of Vladimir Nabokov's translation theory on polish translators. But to be honest it's difficult to find any information on this topic. Has anyone heard about it? Any healp will be appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:56
Member (2003)
Arabic to English
+ ...
The Translation Studies Handbook May 11, 2007

by Lawrence Venuti - this is one of the main textbooks for Translation Studies students. I recall that it had a chapter in it by Nabokov about his translation theory, particularly as relates to his translation of Eugene Onegin.
Can't remember what it says though - I haven't read it for some time.
Hope that helps, Aisha

p.s. if you're only looking for his influence on Polish writers, maybe you should post this in the Polish forum - but if you have access to this book, it covers his translation theory in his own words.

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Problems of translation: <i>Onegin</i> in English May 11, 2007

Partisan Review 22 (1955), pages 496-512.

You can find the article reprinted in:

Lawrence Venuti (editor): The Translation Studies Reader, Routledge, London and New York, 2000

Very briefly stated, the article advocates for a very close translation that does not try to "read smoothly", or reproduce in English the features of the original: rather, the translations should be an aid to understand the original.

Douglas R. Hofstadter, in Le Ton Beau de Marot, goes very much against this, and specifically rejects Nabokov's claims.

kkosciukiewicz
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Venuti found May 11, 2007

Many thanks! I've got Venuti's book cause we are using it as a course book on the lecture (Introduction to translations). Do you know any other works concerning this subject apart from Venuti?

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:56
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Google Books May 11, 2007

I don't know of any works in particular but try playing with the key terms in Google books. You should be able to find some references. It may take a while but it's a great way to find sources. You can usually even read a few pages here and there.
Good luck,
LNS

p.s. You could also check the works cited list at the end of the article. That should be another good starting point.

[Edited at 2007-05-11 19:00]

Jacek Kościukiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Nabokov? Never heard :) May 12, 2007

kkosciukiewicz wrote:

Hi. i'm on my second year of Appliend Linguistic and should write a work concerining the influence of Vladimir Nabokov's translation theory on polish translators. But to be honest it's difficult to find any information on this topic. Has anyone heard about it? Any healp will be appreciated!

Córeczko, szukaj dalej! Całuski

chica nueva
Local time: 16:56
Chinese to English
The New Republic ’The Art of Translation‘ by Vladimir Nabokov, August 8, 1941 Sep 3, 2009

Here is Nabokov's essay 'The Art of Translation' (1941). Perhaps it is of interest.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:uwMCI-SGtXIJ:www.tnr.com/story.html?id=13611c89-a67b-4dcf-af0c-78ca60ad1ff9

Another famous quote of Nabokov's is 'the passion of a scientist, the precision of an artist', but whether it relates to translation I am not sure.

[1 I have been looking into this recently because of a lecture by Nabokov biographer and scholar, Ian Boyd, being presented in Wellington today: 'Nabokov as Translator: Passion and Precision' http://nzsti.org/documents/RUSSIANLECTURE.pdf
2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Vladimir_Nabokov ]

[Edited at 2009-09-03 23:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nabokov's translation theory

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs