Wordcount in Trados (analyse) and word
Thread poster: Manuela Brehm
Manuela Brehm
Local time: 13:54
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 7, 2003

Can somebody explain to me why Trados gives a different Wordcount from Word? I.e. I have a file that, with Trados, has 1367 words and with Word 1919 words. Is that \"normal\"?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
English to German
+ ...
Although Trados and Word use different algorithms Jan 7, 2003

for wourdcount, so differences in wordcount are normal, the difference you mentioned seems to be too much for such a small text. Maybe you should take a closer look at your Word document:

1. are there headers and footers with a considerable amount of text

2. are there many numbers

3. are there any bookmarks, such as TOC

4. also try Extras/Track changes/Highlight changes on screen (sorry, don`t know the actual menu in English), if you see any highlighted changes, the wordcount should now be different

All these points can lead to considerable differences in wordcount.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-07 16:54]

xxxmmsloboda
Local time: 21:54
Check box Jan 7, 2003

Try checking the box in the lower left hand corner of the Word Count dialog that says \"include footnotes and endnotes.\" That should bring the totals closer together.

Frank Bremster  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
German
+ ...
Microsoft is wrong Jan 7, 2003

I work with an agency, whoch has received an official letter from Microsoft (I have seen it), which states that each version of Word (language, built, etc.) will give a differnt wordcount for exactly the same text!! They also wrote that they actually cannot tell exactly why.

Use Tados!!!!

Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:54
English to Russian
+ ...
TRADOS word count is most correct! Jan 15, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-07 23:40, frankbr wrote:

I work with an agency, whoch has received an official letter from Microsoft (I have seen it), which states that each version of Word (language, built, etc.) will give a differnt wordcount for exactly the same text!! They also wrote that they actually cannot tell exactly why.

Use Tados!!!!

All companies I work with use TRADOS word count as most correct one. Forget about Word! Don\'t try to investigate why word count in Word is different from TRADOS. Even Bill Gates doesn\'t know the answer!

Use TRADOS!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordcount in Trados (analyse) and word

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs