Mobile menu

Needless repetitions in financial report...
Thread poster: patyjs

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2007

I am currently translating a financial report (Spain) and wonder about the repeated use of "en el ejercicio 2004" or 2005 or whatever. My problem is whether to continue the repetition in English using "financial year" every couple of lines. I have looked over some financial reports on the Internet and they seem to use just the year in most cases.

Would the translation be too literal and clumsy if I repeated the phrase, or is it safer to follow the style of the original?

Thanks for your input.

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Diehn  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is a matter of style Jun 21, 2007

I am all for mirroring the original. They had the choice to avoid the repetitions: the decision was theirs.

lisa23
Germany
Local time: 23:43
English to German
+ ...
financial year vs. calendar year Jun 21, 2007

Agree with Maria, stick to the original.
A company's financial year may also deviate from the calendar year (e.g. financial year from 1 June 2005 to 31 May 2006) so it is important to indicate to which period a figure refers; it's standard usage in financial statements.

Buzzy
Local time: 23:43
French to English
I see no problem in using just the year Jun 21, 2007

Lisa has made an important point, though, the fiscal year may well be different from the calendar year, and you should take that into consideration.
I do quite a lot of financial report work from French to English and see the same thing: they say "l'exercice 2005" instead of plain old "2005" - and in France businesses tend to use the calendar year as their financial year. And I agree with you that "financial year X" every 2 lines does not sound elegant or natural, come to that.
I don't know about Spanish, but at least for French I wouldn't quite agree that it's a style choice that must be respected - as you rightly say, many directly English reports go straight for the year and I believe it's a valid linguistic equivalent. (You might like to make a note of the English reports you've seen to provide backup in the event of any client queries!)

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 00:43
Turkish to English
+ ...
fiscal 2005 etc. Jun 21, 2007

Especially in American financial reporting, this is frequently expressed as "fiscal 2005", "fiscal 2006" etc.

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:43
Japanese to English
+ ...
Use FY Jun 21, 2007

It is common in the US, and differentiates from calendar year.

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 00:43
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I agree with Maria Jun 21, 2007

Maria Diehn wrote:

I am all for mirroring the original. They had the choice to avoid the repetitions: the decision was theirs.

Translator has to translate just waht he/she gets to. In any case, it would be the best solution to point that out to the client and ask them what is their preference.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Needless repetitions in financial report...

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs