original text sent by fax - how to use CAT tools?
Thread poster: Donatella Semproni
Donatella Semproni
Donatella Semproni  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 13, 2003

Most of my clients keep sending me the original text by fax (sometimes also 50 pages per project), but I would like to use CAT Tools. Any suggestion on how to manage this?
[addsig]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use an OCR program Jan 13, 2003

To use a CAT tool, you will need to get the text in electronic format - if you receive the fax in your computer, you can use the .tif files as input to most OCR (=optical character recognition) software packages. Otherwise, you will need to scan the pages prior to OCR\'ing them.

This involves a significant amount of work - you should make sure to charge a higher price for stuff received in this way.

Search the forums for \"OCR\" and \"hardcopy\" to see r
... See more
To use a CAT tool, you will need to get the text in electronic format - if you receive the fax in your computer, you can use the .tif files as input to most OCR (=optical character recognition) software packages. Otherwise, you will need to scan the pages prior to OCR\'ing them.

This involves a significant amount of work - you should make sure to charge a higher price for stuff received in this way.

Search the forums for \"OCR\" and \"hardcopy\" to see related threads; there are several recent threads on the pricing issue in particular.
Collapse

Donatella Semproni
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 13, 2003

Thank you very much! Your answer was of great help, and very timely too.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
insist on electronic version Jan 13, 2003

Try and explain your client that you work would be much more efficient (and faster) if you received an editable electroic copy of the document.

Some translators do not accept faxed sourced documents, or ask for a higher price in such cases.

Using a scanner and an OCR package only helps if the graphic quality is excellent. Text on faxes is often jagged, which will make your lif
... See more
Try and explain your client that you work would be much more efficient (and faster) if you received an editable electroic copy of the document.

Some translators do not accept faxed sourced documents, or ask for a higher price in such cases.

Using a scanner and an OCR package only helps if the graphic quality is excellent. Text on faxes is often jagged, which will make your life hell when doing the OCR.

www.readiris.com has a fully functional 30-day evaluation offer of their OCR software.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Valid point! Jan 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-13 10:59, Ban Csaba wrote:

Using a scanner and an OCR package only helps if the graphic quality is excellent. Text on faxes is often jagged, which will mak... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-13 10:59, Ban Csaba wrote:

Using a scanner and an OCR package only helps if the graphic quality is excellent. Text on faxes is often jagged, which will make your life hell when doing the OCR.

Quite. I find the deadline issue even more convincing - if you make it clear that having to scan & OCR will add a few extra days to a deadline, the file is miraculously \"found somewhere\". Yeah, right.

Quote:
www.readiris.com has a fully functional 30-day evaluation offer of their OCR software.

That software came free with one of my HP printers - used it only recently, with pretty good results.

OT Csaba, did you get the macro file I sent you in response to your recent posting? ▲ Collapse

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:59
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

It's very simple Jan 13, 2003

Just install fax software and receive fax with your comp - you\'ll have electronic versions of the sent documents

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:59
French to English
fine resolution, receive elctronicly, OCR Jan 13, 2003

Hi,

Always insist that a FAX be sent with \"Fine Resolution.\" Whatever you do with it next, this is much better that \"Standard Resolution.\"

If you receive the fax electronicly either through a network service like eFax or with a fax-modem and software like WinFax Pro (both highly recommended), then you won\'t need to rescan the fax.

ScanSoft has two of the best commercial OCR prod
... See more
Hi,

Always insist that a FAX be sent with \"Fine Resolution.\" Whatever you do with it next, this is much better that \"Standard Resolution.\"

If you receive the fax electronicly either through a network service like eFax or with a fax-modem and software like WinFax Pro (both highly recommended), then you won\'t need to rescan the fax.

ScanSoft has two of the best commercial OCR products. TextBridge Pro http://www.scansoft.com/textbridge/ is competent and effective at a modest price ($80). I use TextBrigde. OmniPage Pro http://www.scansoft.com/omnipage/ is unquestionably the best (http://www.scansoft.com/omnipage/awards/) but is pricey at almost $600. (Price is the reason I don\'t use it.) It can also convert PDF files to formatted text.

Bruce
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
If you have an electronic (scanned) version ..... Jan 13, 2003

If you have an electronic (scanned) version then you can run it through http://docmorph.nlm.nih.gov/docmorph/, which is a free online OCR program that gives excellent results. Obviously, this isn\'t necessariyl suitable for highly confidential material.

HTH

Alison

Donatella Semproni
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all! Jan 14, 2003

I tried to explain the point to my clients (translation agencies) but they have to deal with their own clients and sometimes they cannot provide what I asked. There is no way, either, to receive a higher payment. Moreover, my telecommunication provider, Fastweb, is unable to offer me the opportunity of receiving faxes through my computer - I can receive them only through a fax machine.

Therefore, I think I will have to scan the docs, and use an OCR. Even though I am not paid for this
... See more
I tried to explain the point to my clients (translation agencies) but they have to deal with their own clients and sometimes they cannot provide what I asked. There is no way, either, to receive a higher payment. Moreover, my telecommunication provider, Fastweb, is unable to offer me the opportunity of receiving faxes through my computer - I can receive them only through a fax machine.

Therefore, I think I will have to scan the docs, and use an OCR. Even though I am not paid for this work, I suppose I will greatly benefit from translation memories and so on.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

original text sent by fax - how to use CAT tools?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »