Mobile menu

TM created by an editor?
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 00:06
English to Chinese
Jul 12, 2007

A PM approached me and asked me to do an editing job for a translation. This PM said they would need a TM back when I delivered my edited translation. I have never been asked to provide a TM as an editor, and with my limited CAT experiences, I only know that you can update a TM if you edited from an uncleaned Trados file. And as far as I know, the PM was going to send me both a cleaned file and an uncleaned file to edit, without sending the TM the translator created. So my question is, is it possible for me as an editor to provide a TM using the existing uncleaned translation file?The PM claimed that their editors always provide them with TMs, and I wonder if she knows what she is talking about. (Maybe I am the ignorant one here:)
Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge with me!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
Answer Jul 12, 2007

If you receive the uncleaned file, simply create a new TM your side and run the translation through that, revising (editing) as you go along.

As you open each segment of the uncleaned doc and revise it, it is added to the new TM you've created.

The resultant TM (i.e. once you've finished your revision) is what they are looking for.

You can export the TM for them when you send back the clean file.

Hope this helps
Deborah

[Edited at 2007-07-12 17:12]

Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
uncleaned file means back up file? Jul 12, 2007

Thank you, Deborah, for your information, which is indeed very helpful. (so it proves I was the ignorant one:)

When you said "uncleaned" file, did you refer to the .bak file Trados creates when you clean up a file, or did you mean the file you were working on before you "clean" it up with Trados? I would like to know so that I know what to send to a client in case I am asked to deliver an "uncleaned" file in the future.

Thanks again.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
Answer Jul 12, 2007

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

Thank you, Deborah, for your information, which is indeed very helpful. (so it proves I was the ignorant one:)

When you said "uncleaned" file, did you refer to the .bak file Trados creates when you clean up a file, or did you mean the file you were working on before you "clean" it up with Trados? I would like to know so that I know what to send to a client in case I am asked to deliver an "uncleaned" file in the future.

Thanks again.

Uncleaned file = the file before clean-up

Take care
Deborah

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:06
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Keep a copy somewhere before running a clean-up Jul 12, 2007

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
When you said "uncleaned" file, did you refer to the .bak file Trados creates when you clean up a file, or did you mean the file you were working on before you "clean" it up with Trados?

Yes, but I would advise another method.

Before starting the clean-up, put away a copy of the original file, uncleaned, and clearly renamed as "original file - Uncleaned.doc" or something of this effect.

When you clean-up the other copy of your Word file, a .bak file is indeed created, but you can ignore or delete it. You will have your original copy safely stored elsewhere.

Using this simple procedure, the result may be the same, but you operate on a file that is not the only and unique copy of your work, and if something goes wrong you can always rely on the original, even if Trados hits a problem and destroys the file, or refuses to produce a .bak file, or the power to the PC is interrupted in the middle of this operation.

Any of these may happen and the files may be irreparably corrupted. It is just a simple precaution when closing the job, and it may be crucial to save it.

bye
Gianfranco

Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, thank you, and thank you!!! Jul 12, 2007

Thank you so much, Deborah and Gianfranco, for sharing your expertise with me. There is so much for me to learn as a Trados novice user, and your input has certainly made this learning process easier!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM created by an editor?

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs