By what percentage is Russian longer than English?
Thread poster: Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:37
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 21, 2003

My translations from English to Russian contain on average 20 percent more keystrokes (characters) than the English original.

What are your averages?

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Mine is 12-15% Jan 21, 2003

But mind, if you charge per word rate, the English wordcount can be equal or even larger than the Russian one.

Little tricks to know...

Cheers,

Oleg

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
10-15 % for technical translations Jan 21, 2003

Êîíå÷íî, äëÿ ëèòåðàòóðíîãî òåêñòà ýòîò ïðîöåíò äîëæåí áûòü âûøå.

BTW: Îïûòíûå ðåäàêòîðû êîñâåííî (â êà÷åñòâå îäíîãî èç ïàðàìåòðîâ) îöåíèâàþò êà÷åñòâî ïåðåâîäà èìåííî ïî ìèíèìóìó ýòîãî çíà÷åíèÿ.

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 09:37
German to English
+ ...
Depends on quality Jan 21, 2003

Hello,

in our experience:

the translations of good translators aren\'t so lonag as the translatins of bad translators.

Translation into Russian can take longer from 10 to 30 %.

With kind regards

Hans

Nikolai Muraviev
Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Agree! Jan 22, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-21 21:05, DSC wrote:

Hello,

With kind regards

Hans

30% is highest threshold for enlarging, according to computer help files demands.

When localizing sw interface, rate should be 1:1 (as close as it is possible).

Normally, percentage depends on qua... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-21 21:05, DSC wrote:

Hello,

With kind regards

Hans

30% is highest threshold for enlarging, according to computer help files demands.

When localizing sw interface, rate should be 1:1 (as close as it is possible).

Normally, percentage depends on quality of translation. ▲ Collapse

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Never thought about this in terms of quality Jan 22, 2003

and was so intrigued and disappointed with my high percentage that recalculated my translations more thoroughly. As a result I came to the conclusion that I’m 2% better – my average is in fact 18%. I’m very happy with this progress.

But how can I improve? To use abbreviations?

Konstantin Lakshin
Konstantin Lakshin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:37
Member (2017)
English to Russian
+ ...
It gets shorter Jan 22, 2003

Dunno about characters.

For typesetting purposes, or even for a plain side-by-side format (as used in some agreements), Russian may take up to 30% more space (especially w/o hyphenation). But in part this is caused by difference in average character width.

Russian word count expansion, IMHO, is an urban legend based on translations that follow the original way too slavishly. In my experience, most technical, business and legal texts shrink at least 5 to
... See more
Dunno about characters.

For typesetting purposes, or even for a plain side-by-side format (as used in some agreements), Russian may take up to 30% more space (especially w/o hyphenation). But in part this is caused by difference in average character width.

Russian word count expansion, IMHO, is an urban legend based on translations that follow the original way too slavishly. In my experience, most technical, business and legal texts shrink at least 5 to 10% when translated (En > Ru) idiomatically (for several rather obvious reasons related to linguistic differences).

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-23 00:18]
Collapse

David Knowles
David Knowles  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:37
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
English can be very cryptic! Jan 22, 2003

Don\'t worry too much about Russian being longer. I remember travelling in Canada and not understanding the road signs in English because they used unfamiliar terminology (such as median). The French was much longer, but perfectly clear! Signs inside NY buses and subway cars are in English and Spanish - the Spanish ones are much longer, but make sense, whereas the English ones are short but obscure.

You may have noticed that a problem with translating titles (for jobs, acade
... See more
Don\'t worry too much about Russian being longer. I remember travelling in Canada and not understanding the road signs in English because they used unfamiliar terminology (such as median). The French was much longer, but perfectly clear! Signs inside NY buses and subway cars are in English and Spanish - the Spanish ones are much longer, but make sense, whereas the English ones are short but obscure.

You may have noticed that a problem with translating titles (for jobs, academic courses, etc) from Russian to English is that the English titles have to be much shorter in order not to sound ridiculous.

The rule for software localisation is that strings should always be defined as at least 30% longer than the English.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

By what percentage is Russian longer than English?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »