Translate book titles?
Thread poster: yne
yne
Local time: 00:30
German to English
+ ...
Jul 18, 2007

Hi,

I am translating a course description and the where the required reading is in SL only, was thinking of leaving as it is then adding in brackets "in German only".

I know related topics have been discussed, but I couldn't find discussion of my specific situation!

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:30
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Leave as is Jul 18, 2007

Yes, if there is no translated version available, you could just leave it as you suggest.

If there are no translated versions for the entire list, you could add one footnote to the heading, saying "required reading available in German only".

Or, if the client really needs to know what is in the reading list (for example for designing a similar course), then I would add a footnote with a list of the translated titles only, without authors and publisher's info, etc.

If you can contact the client, that is always the best thing to do.

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:30
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree Jul 18, 2007

I used to teach Comparative Literature, and it is quite normal to have some books on the list which may only be read in the original, for whatever reason.

ALSTranslations  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:30
English to Russian
+ ...
What do you read? Jul 18, 2007

Unless you are prepared to find the translations and ensure that they were translated under the titles you suggest, you open your instructor to questions about where to find the translated versions. Unless the instructor has specifically authorized you to do so, I don't recommend translating the titles for that reason.

Besides, if the instructor believes the students speak German well enough to read these books, it's likely that reading German is part of the purpose of the course.

yne
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Footnote Jul 19, 2007

Thanks for all your suggestions! I will leave them as they are with just one footnote (thank you Tim) and check with the client if this is ok.

[Edited at 2007-07-19 06:35]

Sima Sharifi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:30
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Translating books Jul 20, 2007

[quote]yne wrote:

I am translating a course description

Is this a book? I am very much interested to know how you translate a book? Do you scan it first? but then it won't be possible to convert it to .doc (to use with Trados Workbench.

I appreciate any advice,
Sima

yne
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a book Aug 2, 2007

Hi Sima,

No it's not a book, rather a text with book titles in it!

I am sorry I can't help you with your question, but I would presume if you can't get hold of the files electronically then scanning would be the best alternative.

Yne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate book titles?

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs