Graphic drawing and texts in boxes in original document
Thread poster: Laura Sa
Laura Sa
Laura Sa
Local time: 10:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 22, 2003

I am translating a paper sent to me by fax that has a graphic drawing and some texts in boxes. Do you generally try to keep the same format as the original text? How do you go about the final look of your work??

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
Polish to English
+ ...
Please look at Jessica Klingberg's post Jan 23, 2003

There is a mini-discussion on this ca. 5 posts ago...

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:59
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Inserting drawings & text boxes Jan 23, 2003

Graphic drawing from a fax: I scan the page (I have a scanner attachment to my printer),

crop the scanned file to leave only the drawing, export it as a bmp file to Paint, re-size it as required, clean it up if necessary, replace source-language text with target-language text, convert it to a JPEG file and insert it into the document (Insert Picture from file).

Text box: one way of doing this is to insert a 1 x 1 table, or perhaps a table with only one row but several columns
... See more
Graphic drawing from a fax: I scan the page (I have a scanner attachment to my printer),

crop the scanned file to leave only the drawing, export it as a bmp file to Paint, re-size it as required, clean it up if necessary, replace source-language text with target-language text, convert it to a JPEG file and insert it into the document (Insert Picture from file).

Text box: one way of doing this is to insert a 1 x 1 table, or perhaps a table with only one row but several columns, then rendering some of them invisible to leave one cell in the position you want, and use that as the text box.

In general I do follow the format of the original. I may or may not attempt to use or simulate the fonts of the original, depending what sort of document it is.

Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 17:59
German to English
+ ...
ask your client Jan 23, 2003

Hello,

You should ask your client and then make your price for the work.

Greetings

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Graphic drawing and texts in boxes in original document

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »