Lithuania
Local time: 15:48
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Aug 9, 2007

Hello,

I have a technical question.

Situation:

I work with Trados and my colleague, whom I asked to help me a little bit with a big job, works with WordFast (he does not work with Trados, and I do not have nor know WordFast).

The question is - can the TMs (translation memories) of these 2 softs be compatible, i.e. if I receive a text translated from my colleague, how I could import the memory accumulated working with WordFast into my Trados memory? So, is there any solution for this instead of the one I can figure out now of processing the source and the target texts received from my colleague with Trados WinAlign?

P.S. To the forum moderator - would you please inform me if I posted this topic in a wrong forum. Just did not find (or see) another forum where I could post this issue.

Best regards to all!

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TMX Aug 9, 2007

MariusV wrote:
The question is - can the TMs (translation memories) of these 2 softs be compatible, i.e. if I receive a text translated from my colleague, how I could import the memory accumulated working with WordFast into my Trados memory?

Yes, you would be able to do it, if your colleague exports to TMX, and you then import the TMX. But I suspect that although you'll be able to import most of it, you may not always get 100% matches from it.

It may be better if your colleague send you his unclean files, and then you simply clean them up in Trados -- then Trados is the one producing the memories, not Wordfast.

As for your colleague, he can't read Trados' default TM format, but he can read TMXes exported from Trados. And he can translate RTF files, but not TTX files.

Iza Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
No problem Aug 9, 2007

Just tell him to provide an unclean file, which you can use to import the segments into your TM - my agency has no problem with that. I am told that in Word it's impossible to distinguish unclean files translated with WF or Trados.
You can also send him your TM as long as it is exported to the TMX format - works perfectly with me.

Iza Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
@ Samuel Aug 9, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

It may be better if your colleague send you his unclean files, and then you simply clean them up in Trados -- then Trados is the one producing the memories, not Wordfast.

That's a bit imprecise - WF will have created it's own TM on the way. There is simply no need to get it, as Trados will use the segments produced in WF.

Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:48
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Working with Trados and Wordfast Aug 11, 2007

Wordfast and Trados are not 100% compatible, but they can be made to work together quite nicely as they use the same segmentation marks. This means that if you use Trados and receive translated Word files, you'll not even know that they were translated by Wordfast unless the translator tells you so. Just clean them up as usual and your memory is updated.

However, Wordfast cannot work with the TTX format, but there are two ways to solve this issue:

1. as the outsourcer, you could send an exported file with all the segments (run an analysis with an empty memory, click on Export Unknown Segments and save the file with the file type "Word (*.rtf)"). Then ask the Wordfast translator to set paragraph as segmentation rule (each Trados segment will be a separate paragraph in the exported file).
2. the translator who use Wordfast could use the demo version of Trados to open the .ttx files and copy the contents into Word and translate with Wordfast.

Both of these "solutions" does mean, however, that the outsourcer has to clean the translated files and then run the memory on the .ttx files, but in any way it is less than half an hour of added time.

Even if you use Trados as your normal translations program, you might want to get Wordfast as well, if only for the excellent quality control functions that Wordfast offers.

It is, however, not a good idea to import a Trados memory to Wordfast and then import the Wordfast memory back to Trados after completed translation. The reason for this is that a Wordfast memory is pure text, while the Trados memory format contains formating information (that is lost when transerring to Wordfast as Wordfast does not need this information). The fact that the Worfast memory is text based makes it easy to do memory management, such as search and replace if the customer has requested a change of terminology or if the memory provided is inconsistent.

Ulf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and WordFast compatibility

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs