krishna mallick
krishna mallick
India
Local time: 18:53
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2007

Hello friends,
when I cannot edit any file in .pdf, I do the translation in word document and send to the customer.
Now the problem is, as some .pdf file have images, I select those images and paste in the document and write the translation in TEXT BOX.

I know the way to count words in document is Tools>Word count. But it does not get the actual word count because some are in the text boxes.

Could somebody tell me how to do it, or is there any free downloa
... See more
Hello friends,
when I cannot edit any file in .pdf, I do the translation in word document and send to the customer.
Now the problem is, as some .pdf file have images, I select those images and paste in the document and write the translation in TEXT BOX.

I know the way to count words in document is Tools>Word count. But it does not get the actual word count because some are in the text boxes.

Could somebody tell me how to do it, or is there any free downloadable software for the same?

Regards,
Mallick
Collapse

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
FineCount Aug 14, 2007

http://www.tilti.com/new/en/index.php?id=2_finecount&pc_code=&ver=

krishna mallick wrote:

Hello friends,

Could somebody tell me how to do it, or is there any free downloadable software for the same?

Regards,
Mallick

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Recently discussed Aug 14, 2007

See http://www.proz.com/topic/80963.

One of the most simple solutions is Complete Word Count, an add-in macro for Word.

Manuel Aburto
Manuel Aburto  Identity Verified
Nicaragua
Local time: 07:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dead Easy! Aug 15, 2007

It has happened to me.

In my opinion, if you want an exact word count of an acrobat file, then you should copy the whole pdf document and paste it into wordpad, then you copy it again from wordpad to word and presto you do the word counting.

In this way, you will include any text contained in dialog boxes.

Hope it works,

Regards,

Manuel

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:23
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I use TextCount Aug 17, 2007

I use TextCount, which is very dependable and versatile and does not cost the world. See www.textcount.com.

Mariya Borisevich
Mariya Borisevich
Local time: 15:23
English to Bulgarian
Convert text boxes to frames Aug 18, 2007

Right click the textbox, select the "Text box" tab, and then "Convert to frame" - this is the correct solution to this problem.

Petra Fischbäck
Petra Fischbäck  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Just create a second document to count the words Aug 21, 2007

Hi Mallick,

when I have a similar problem, I simply create a second file which is called something like translation_for_count.doc. And in this second file, I delete everything that doesn't need to be counted, for whatever reason. So this also works for partially translated documents.

If there was text in boxes, as you described it, I would simply cut and paste this text into the main document.

And after getting rid of everything that doesn't need to be co
... See more
Hi Mallick,

when I have a similar problem, I simply create a second file which is called something like translation_for_count.doc. And in this second file, I delete everything that doesn't need to be counted, for whatever reason. So this also works for partially translated documents.

If there was text in boxes, as you described it, I would simply cut and paste this text into the main document.

And after getting rid of everything that doesn't need to be counted, I save the "for_count" document and just count it the usual way. Maybe not an elegant solution, but it doesn't require any kind of additional software, but only about five minutes time.

Best wishes,

Petra
Collapse

Tangopeter
Tangopeter

English to Dutch
+ ...
Which version of Word? Aug 24, 2007

Mariya Borisevich wrote:

Right click the textbox, select the "Text box" tab, and then "Convert to frame" - this is the correct solution to this problem.

Hi Mariya,

That sounds like an interesting option, but my version of Word (2002 SP3) does not have the option 'Convert to frame' or similar (I use the Dutch version of Word) at right click, at least not in the text I am fighting with at the moment.

Or is there a difference between textboxes and other textbox-like shapes (text balloons in my case)?

Regards,
Peter

krishna mallick
krishna mallick
India
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 29, 2007

Hi friends,
thank you for your replies and time. I am sorry for not replying immediately as I became busy.
I will check which is the useful one.

Best Regards,

krishna mallick
krishna mallick
India
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word counting in excel Oct 3, 2007

How to count the words in excel? I have been counting in the crude way:-) ie copying the words/ line and pasting into word document.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Count words in word document

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »