Sworn translation with notary certification
Thread poster: Joy Phillips

Joy Phillips
Netherlands
Local time: 22:55
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
Aug 16, 2007

I'm working on a sworn (certified) translation of a number of Dutch certificates, diplomas etc. I have received photocopies of these documents which have each been certified by a notary. The notary affixed a sticker with an English-language statement of authenticity and his signature and stamp on the back of each copy.

I've done a number of sworn translations in the past, but so far all the notary statements have been in Dutch. Should I include a transcription of the (grammatically incorrect but fully comprehensible) notary statement in my sworn translation or not?

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Situation in ZA Aug 16, 2007

Joy Maul wrote:
Should I include a transcription of the (grammatically incorrect but fully comprehensible) notary statement in my sworn translation or not?

I would.

In South Africa, the situation is somewhat different. Sworn translation can only be done on originals, not on photocopies, faxes, etc, even if they have been notarised, signed, stamped, authorised or whatever.

So if a South African sworn translator gets something with such a stamp or a written comment on it, he will include the stamp or comment in his translation, because it is part of the original that he is translating.

Joy Phillips
Netherlands
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Alternatives Aug 16, 2007

I was thinking I probably should, particularly since the stamp on the sticker is in Dutch and would definitely need to be translated.

The alternative I was considering is including a brief text, something along the lines of

"sticker affirming the document is a certified copy"

between brackets, similar to what I would do for an illegible signature or seal, simply indicating the presence of an item on the document which is clearly comprehensible for any English speaker, native or non-native.

Seems like a full transcription might be clearer, though.

Thanks for your input!

[Edited at 2007-08-16 10:49]

Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:55
Finnish to English
I wouldn't swear on it Aug 16, 2007

I would not swear a translation of a text I did not right - or have I misunderstood you

A paraphrase, as you suggested, might be the answer

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, do the bracket thing Aug 16, 2007

Joy Maul wrote:
The alternative I was considering is including a brief text, something along the lines of

"sticker affirming the document is a certified copy"

between brackets, similar to what I would do for an illegible signature or seal.

That is exactly what I would have done, but I would also include the wording of the sticker (and if the sticker is bilingual, include both languages, even if one of the languages is known to your reader).

Rosanna Palermo  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:55
Member (2006)
Italian to English

do not certify, just translate Aug 25, 2007

what I do is

xxxx President

Raised seal from notary public stating: "certified by xxxx blah blah blah - on the 1st day of august 2007 "

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sworn translation with notary certification

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs