Editing a Page Header in Framemaker
Thread poster: fairfaxcompa (X)
fairfaxcompa (X)
fairfaxcompa (X)
English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2007

I am currently finishing up a manual in which the customer requested all editing be done in FM ( I have only worked with Framemaker on limited occasions - I generally use other options when there are .fm files involved ) and I got through it all OK, except for one BIG problem...the top of each page (the header I presume) needs corrected and I cannot figure out HOW to access the text so that I can edit it. I tried going to the master page, but it only shows attributes or a variable code in the fi... See more
I am currently finishing up a manual in which the customer requested all editing be done in FM ( I have only worked with Framemaker on limited occasions - I generally use other options when there are .fm files involved ) and I got through it all OK, except for one BIG problem...the top of each page (the header I presume) needs corrected and I cannot figure out HOW to access the text so that I can edit it. I tried going to the master page, but it only shows attributes or a variable code in the field - but not the actual text that I want to edit. I understand that from this master view there are additional steps to get to the text - but I am having trouble finding it! I think I have tried all suggestions under the "help" index!
Could you please share with me if you have any advice or if you have dealt with this as well?
A big “thank you” in advance!
Fairfaxco
(Mary, Michael)
Collapse

Chiara Righele
Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:16
English to Italian
+ ...
Variables Sep 3, 2007

Hi Mary & Michael,
in order to help, it will be useful to know exactly what you see in your header.

In any case, if the text you want to edit is displayed thanks to a variable, you have to detect what the variable points to (i.e. the running paragraph in the body pages, filename...), and then correct the text (in the body pages) the variable refers to.
An example: titles of each paragraph are displayed at the top of each page as headers. If you edit a title, the variabl
... See more
Hi Mary & Michael,
in order to help, it will be useful to know exactly what you see in your header.

In any case, if the text you want to edit is displayed thanks to a variable, you have to detect what the variable points to (i.e. the running paragraph in the body pages, filename...), and then correct the text (in the body pages) the variable refers to.
An example: titles of each paragraph are displayed at the top of each page as headers. If you edit a title, the variable automatically updates the correction and you should see the edited title in the header.

If you need to change what the variable displays (but I do not think that this is your case...), then you have to act on the variable itself and change its definition

Hope that helps.
If it wasn't clear, or didn't solve your problem, I'll try and explain it another way, just let me know

Chiara
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:16
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Are you sure that... Sep 3, 2007

...you have checked out the Master page? Usually variables and the likes are kept in the Reference page (View > Reference page). The header must be in the Master. Infact, if you try to edit a header or a footer in a brand new document (Format > Headers and Footers >Insert) when you are in the Body page, Framemaker says that you have to be in a Master page to do so. Maybe you can send me the document, I can try to have a look at it. Check my profile and send it to me, if you want.

[Edited
... See more
...you have checked out the Master page? Usually variables and the likes are kept in the Reference page (View > Reference page). The header must be in the Master. Infact, if you try to edit a header or a footer in a brand new document (Format > Headers and Footers >Insert) when you are in the Body page, Framemaker says that you have to be in a Master page to do so. Maybe you can send me the document, I can try to have a look at it. Check my profile and send it to me, if you want.

[Edited at 2007-09-03 07:43]

[Edited at 2007-09-03 07:43]
Collapse

fairfaxcompa (X)
fairfaxcompa (X)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your input and help... Sep 3, 2007

I think I may have the hang of it - all except for making 'header' changes to just a few pages within a group of pages, without losing the 'variable definition' to the rest of the pages.
For example, there are 16 pages in one group, the first four are titled "ABC", and the last 12 are titled "XYZ". How do I edit ABC without the changes 'rolling' over to the XYZ titled pages?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:16
English to Russian
ABC & XYZ Sep 3, 2007

about the ABC and XYZ problem:
it can be 2 different master pages
or it can be so-called running header/footer, i.e system variable, referenced to some paragraph style (Heading)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing a Page Header in Framemaker

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »