Thread poster: Maria Eugenia Farre

Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 5, 2003

Hello there,

I\'ve received a large brochure with many text boxes from a direct client for an estimate and I was wondering if there is any easy way of extracting the text from these Page Maker files so I can do the word count automatically. I\'m using PM 6.5 and as far as I can see it\'s not very translator-friendly. Or maybe the problem is that I\'m not familiar with the tool.

I am also wondering if these Page Maker files can be s-tagged somehow and later reconverted into Page Maker.

Thanks for your input,

ME

Direct link Reply with quote

Rita Damo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
StoryCollector for PageMaker 6.5 Feb 5, 2003

Hello ME,

If you are using TRADOS, StoryCollector for PageMaker and QuarkXPress work as plugins in the respective DTP applications.

You will find the StoryCollector for PageMaker in your TRADOS 5.5 installation folder, per default: C:\\Program\\Files\\Trados\\T5(_FL)\\WS\\StoryCollectors\\PageMaker

Copy the three files that you find there into the PageMaker plugin directory, per default: C:\\Program\\Files\\Adobe\\PageMaker\\RSRC\\USENGLSH\\Plugins (provided you have the US English language version installed)

When you start PageMaker the StoryCollector plugin will be loaded and you will find it under Plugins on the Utilities menu in PageMaker.

After the StoryCollector has produced the utput *.txt file, you can open it in TagEditor and translate it there. After aving finished the translation you can run a cleanup on the bilingual *.ttx file in

Workbench which will produce the target anguage version of your file (again this is *.txt format).

You would then open a copy of the original PM file in PageMaker and run the StoryCollecter again to import the translated stories into the PM file thus replacing the source text with your translation. You may need to do some DTP cleanup work afterwards in order to correct the text contraction or expansion that is usually found after translation, because the target text might become longer or shorter compared to the source text.

Kind regards,

Rita Damo

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 5, 2003

Dear Rita,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanations. There is just one snag. I\'m running Trados 5.0 here, hence no Story Collector. But I\'ll keep the instructions for when I update.

Thanks again,

ME

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:02
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
PM Plug In is helpfull too Feb 5, 2003

In PageMaker under Options (or similar, I have german PM here) you will find Plug-Ins.

It is the same place where Trados Story Collector is located.

There you´ll find a tool for word counting in the file.

This is mostly enough for making an offer for customer.

And PageMaker is not very user-friendly, indeed...

Jerzy

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy! Feb 5, 2003

I see it! I see it! Opções> Recursos adicionais> Contador de palavras.

ME

Rita Damo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
No problem... Feb 5, 2003

The explanations are also valid for TRADOS 3.

RD

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting text from Page Maker files

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs