Mobile menu

Asking for advice: we\'re good at what we do, but are having trouble getting started.
Thread poster: Todd Field

Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:16
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
Feb 5, 2003

Dear fellow translators,

My wife (English>Spanish native) and I (Spanish and Portuguese>English native) are trying to break into full time freelance translating, but are having trouble getting started.

Our strengths:

* Two native speakers working simultaneously

* Great business skills from previous professions

* Very good translators

Our weaknesses:

* New to the business

* Decent but not super-extensive freelance experience

We\'ve put a lot of energy into networking, sending out résumés, taking agency tests, joining the ATA., buying TRADOS 5.5 (which we are learning), submitting online profiles, bidding on job postings, upgrading our computer, etc. etc. etc. So far, not a single project has been offered to us.

We really want to make this happen, more than anything else we have wanted in our professional careers. I know this is a common question here in this discussion forum, but…

We really want it bad, but are legitimately stumped!

In advance, thank you for your input, and best wishes for a successful 2003.

Todd and Monica

Direct link Reply with quote

Arthur Borges
Local time: 12:16
+ ...
Try Targeting A Single Industry Feb 6, 2003

Talk to any contacts in industry that you may have (is daddy a dentist or laundry suds engineer?). They have trade magazines where it\'s free or cheap to advertise.

Talk to the people at that magazine -- one issue may be kept as a reference source all year long, e.g. if it lists all the conventions and trade fairs worldwide or something like that. Put three small bright little ads in that issue, with a touch of red.

Best of luck.

Telesforo Fernandez
Local time: 09:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good presentation Feb 6, 2003

It is a good presentation. I presume that a lot of potential agencies might be looking at your concise presentation.

In fact, somebody must be already looking and, perhaps, be inclined to offer you translation jobs.

It would also be worthwhile to opt for PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP with Proz

and answer some term questions, just for corroborating your language expertise.

All the best,

Telesforo Fernandez

English- Portuguese- Spanish - French translator

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-07 11:10]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:16
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Look in another forum Feb 6, 2003

Look in the forum \"Getting established\" under the group heading \"Independent Professionals\", where you will find several topics discussing this subject.

The URL is

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:16
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
good luck! Feb 6, 2003

Dear Todd and Monica,

You are doing all the right things, looking at the forum on being established has helped me a lot, too. You can learn a lot in a short time.

In my experience these things take time and you should not give up, the results of your efforts will soon show. All the resumes you sent will be kept and filed and when the agencies will need you they will contact you. Try different approaches, different styles and see which ones work best for you. Always keep on marketing and keep in tough with your clients and your marketplace.

best of luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for advice: we\'re good at what we do, but are having trouble getting started.

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs