Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Am I the only translator who doesn't use TRADOS?
Thread poster: Amanda Tozer

Amanda Tozer
Local time: 13:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 22, 2007

I have always endeavoured to keep abreast of the latest technological advancements affecting and/or improving the field of translating, interpreting, etc. I am by no means a troglodite and am a real dab hand with IT and software.
HOWEVER, I have never used Trados. In fact, I am ashamed to admit that I don't actually know what its function truly is. I don't know what "it looks, feels and smells like".
Should I be ashamed? Am I over-the-hill, technically speaking?
Well, I am a freelancer and don't form part of a large agency which can afford to be a licensee of Trados and other computerised translation aids. I have never wanted for work and am fortunate enough to be able to stay afloat financially.
But, I do realise that I miss out on work because of the fact I don't own a copy of Trados and don't know how to use it.
I am becoming a little worried by this and wonder if I am the only one.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Amanda Tozer

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxJon O  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
you are not alone... Sep 22, 2007

I'm a fellow Luddite too..

Amanda Tozer
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Luddites and techno troglodites unite! Sep 22, 2007

ATozer (PhD) wrote:

I have always endeavoured to keep abreast of the latest technological advancements affecting and/or improving the field of translating, interpreting, etc. I am by no means a troglodite and am a real dab hand with IT and software.
HOWEVER, I have never used Trados. In fact, I am ashamed to admit that I don't actually know what its function truly is. I don't know what "it looks, feels and smells like".
Should I be ashamed? Am I over-the-hill, technically speaking?
Well, I am a freelancer and don't form part of a large agency which can afford to be a licensee of Trados and other computerised translation aids. I have never wanted for work and am fortunate enough to be able to stay afloat financially.
But, I do realise that I miss out on work because of the fact I don't own a copy of Trados and don't know how to use it.
I am becoming a little worried by this and wonder if I am the only one.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Amanda Tozer

TulipEGA
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
No, I'm afraid you're not the only one ... Sep 22, 2007

More or less due to same reasons, I do not use Trados. I prefer, in fact, to be able to translate according to the context and other coordinates of the original text. And therefore I need my brain, my common sense and my expertise. I am maybe wrong but I keep on thinking that my translations try to reflect all the items included on the text to be translated.

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Definitely not! Sep 22, 2007

But I also wonder the same thing.

I think its usefulness really depends on the kind of project. I have the free version of Wordfast which I used recently for a web site translation which included product descriptions and specifications, so it was useful for the repetitions. But I don't do a lot of this kind of job.

I have read other threads on the importance of CAT tools for us freelancers and opinion varies.

Why don't you download the free Wordfast to get an idea of what it does and then decide whether you really need one. If so you can look around and see which one would be right for you.

That's what I did, anyway, and I have come to the conclusion that the investment is not justified, for me at least.

Good luck!

Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:27
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My experience Sep 22, 2007

Of course there are still many people who don't use it.
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

But let's face it. For really small projects, we can opt not to use it. But when we have a big project, with many repetitions and we have a tool that makes our life so much easier and even most important, helps us keep the consistency, I really think it becomes essential.

And nowadays most outsourcers demand the use of this or other CAT tools.

At this moment, I can't imagine my life without it. But that's just me, other people may find they prefer not to use it.

I guess every person must evaluate and realise what works best in each particular case.

French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Depends on the kind of translating you do Sep 22, 2007

Hi Amanda,

I think it really depends on the kind of translating you do. When I do literary, academic, advertising, etc. translation, I find Trados a nuisance. I find I don't always translate on a segment-by-segment basis, but need to see the bigger picture (Trados breaks the text down into segments, which are usually, but not necessarily, sentences.) Trados actually slows me down, I find I produce a more stilted translation, and because there is little to no repetition, I am deriving no benefit from it in that respect (FYI: Trados will post any repeat text for you, so you don't have to translate it over again, and thus helps to ensure consistency).
I quickly decided that I would no longer use Trados for these types of translation, which make up the bulk of my activity.

That said, for the little bit of technical translation I do, I find it extremely helpful. It is a huge time-saver (that technical term I spent a lot of time researching last year is right there in the memory, so I don't have to go through it all over again) and it ensures consistency for my client. I can understand why translators who do a lot of this type of work would have a lot to gain by using Trados (or Wordfst, Deja vu or some other aid).

HTH
Mara

[Edited at 2007-09-22 14:16]

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Ditto Sep 22, 2007

If you do a lot of technical or repetitive translations, it is a must. If not, then save your money!

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Another troglodite speaks Sep 22, 2007

Indeed you're not alone. I don't use Trados either and am aghast at the number of problems it seems to raise (according to these forums). I've been translating for so long in my fields that I have become a translating machine, anyway. Although I have had to turn down a few jobs because of not being Trados-literate, I get as much work as I want most of the time, and often more, so it doesn't seem to be a disadvantage to me not having it.
Back to my cave.
Regards,
Jenny.

Beatriz Galiano
Argentina
Local time: 08:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
A, you are not alone... Sep 22, 2007

But I'll probably get it next year, have to change my PC first.

So only a short time in the group.

swarnali choudhury
Local time: 16:57
English to Bengali
Don't consider youself to be the only one Sep 22, 2007

If it is of any help, I have only heard the term, neither have it, nor ever used. And to be frank enough, I don't actually feel that if one doesn't use TRADOS, his or her translation abilities are less than those who use it. My understanding is that it is the quality of translation that matters, not the software. If my translation is good, no software can make that bad and if its bad, no software is going to improve it.

[Edited at 2007-09-22 15:39]

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
similar concerns Sep 22, 2007

patyjs wrote:

I think its usefulness really depends on the kind of project. I have the free version of Wordfast which I used recently for a web site translation which included product descriptions and specifications, so it was useful for the repetitions. But I don't do a lot of this kind of job.

I bought Wordfast several years ago, but I couldn't figure out how to build a TM from it, and since I work for direct clients, no one could provide me with one, so --unless I'm really misunderstanding how it works-- it didn't save me time.

However, I'm in the midst of a multi-year project involving a series of very similar books, and I keep wondering if I ought to try to align the originals and the translations, create a TM, and use it for the next book.

There are three reasons I haven't done that.

One is the way in which Wordfast (in my limited experience) restricts the structure of the sentences being translated. It gives you snippets of a sentence in the order in which they appear in the source text and for the TM to work, you can't translate the end of the sentence first, even if, in the target language, that would be the "right" thing to do. I really don't understand how others get around that problem. For the few projects I used Wordfast on, I had to rewrite everything, and in some cases, the difficulty in being able to read the entire sentence before translating it meant that I'd really not understood the meaning.

Another drawback is all the technical problems that people seem to have (just look at the posts in the ProZ forums). I'm afraid that if I try to use the software, I'll get embroiled in a big mess and won't finish my project on time!

And the third thing is the learning curve. I don't have an office mate to whom I could turn to ask for help if something is obscure. Instead, I'd have to take hours to research it on my own.

So, it bothers me that I'm not taking advantage of the technology, but I'm really afraid to tackle it.

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
No, you're not :) Sep 22, 2007

I use another CAT tool and have no intentions of buying Trados for many different reasons.

Anni

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
you are not alone Sep 22, 2007

I use Wordfast, and then only at my convenience if it is going to be useful to me in a particular project. CAT tools, regardless which one, are not particularly suited to the type of translation work I do

Patricia

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
There's more to CAT than repeated segments Sep 22, 2007

Obviously, if you have a successful business without CAT tools, you're doing something right. But it's worth at least experimenting with the software. I hesitated to use it for fear of becoming stiltedly repetitive, but I'm a wholehearted convert. It's just a matter of how you use it, and not letting yourself get hamstrung by your previous translations.

For me, Trados's most useful function is not its famous handling of repeated sentences (though that's handy for some jobs), but rather its concordance search.

For instance, right now I'm translating a novel in which sentences seldom repeat. There are, however, numerous adjectives, adverbs, and unusual turns of phrase that the author repeats from one chapter to another to draw subtle parallels between characters. Trados gives me a quick way to look up a phrase or even an individual word and see how I translated it before in that particular language pair. Since I use a coding system, I can also see what job each match came from.

As for the concern about segmentation, both Trados and Wordfast allow you to expand the selected segment to include multiple sentences, so that's not much of a problem.

But again, go with whatever you find works for you.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I the only translator who doesn't use TRADOS?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs