Mobile menu

Word counting a PDF file
Thread poster: Amanda Tozer

Amanda Tozer
Local time: 02:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2007

I need to provide a very good client of mine with a proposed deadline and price of a 136-page legal translation which only exists as a PDF file at the moment.
But, there's just one problem- I can't count the amount of words (and there are lots of dense footnotes), nor I can truly assess how long it will take me to translate, as I can only guess (but don't know for sure) the font size, line spacing and, therefore, the approximate amount of words per page.
Can anyone help me? I do have a few IT nerd friends with access to software, but one is ill and the other AWOL.
Should I give my client a costing based on a price per page or a "precio por obra" to avoid taking too long?
Any help and advice much appreciated.
Amanda Tozer

Direct link Reply with quote

Irina Lazarescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:52
English to Romanian
+ ...
change pdf into doc Sep 25, 2007

You may change .pdf file into .doc and then to perform the word cont. This may be performed using either abbyfinereader or PDF CONVERTER , the last one having a free(or trial) version.

Good luck in this attempt!

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:52
English to Indonesian
+ ...
abbyy pdf transformer Sep 25, 2007

this is my favorite tool for extracting text in pdf. it also works well on scanned images. http://www.pdftransformer.com/
if you are using acrobat, you can try to save the pdf to more accessible format, i.e. doc, rtf, txt.

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Count the original Sep 25, 2007

Hi Amanda,

If you can convert, fine, otherwise simply count the original from the printout by counting the number of words on, say, 10 "full" lines at different points in the text, and getting a general average. Say the average is 10.

Then just count "full" lines and "half" lines on each page, writing in the total at the bottom of every page. Then count up all the page totals at the end, and multiply by 10. Even for that amount of pages, it doesn't take as long as you might think, and it's pretty accurate to boot.

Bye,

Mervyn

m a r i n a  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translators Abacus Sep 25, 2007

Hi Amanda,

I use Translators Abacus to word count PDFs. It's free and you can get it from here: www.globalrendering.com/download.html

HTH,

--
Marina

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another option Sep 25, 2007

Hello!

Try AbracadabraCompteur 2, it´s freeware and counts the words provided the pdf is not made of images.
You can download it from here

http://www.abracadabrapdf.net/articles.php?lng=en&pg=17

Regards,
Marina

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
PractiCount Sep 25, 2007

http://practiline.com/

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word counting a PDF file

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs