Translation of organization names in contracts.
Thread poster: patyjs

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 26, 2007

I am revising a contract translation. One of the parties is the Policia Federal Preventiva. The name is left like that on the heading page where it states the names of the two parties involved.

However, the name is translated to the Federal Preventive Police throughout the rest of the document.

Which should I use? I tend to think it shouldn't be translated but I'd like to check.

Thanks!

By the way, the other party is a US company.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Leave as is Sep 26, 2007

Some place in the beginning you could include a translation in ( ) - Policía Federal Preventiva (Federal Preventive Police) - but through the contract you should preserve the original, Policía Federal Preventiva. It is the official name of the organization.

I assume that you are translating from Spanish to English. Right?

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right, Henry, Spanish to English. Sep 26, 2007

That's what I thought.

Thanks a lot.

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:49
German to English
+ ...
Square brackets? Sep 26, 2007

Not that it will make any difference in 100 years but I understood the convention among translators in such a case to be "in [ ]" and not "in ( )"

I split hairs because I haven't enough otherwise

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 14:49
Turkish to English
+ ...
I agree with Henry Sep 26, 2007

Yes, proper names should not be translated, especially if they are the parties to a contract, but if you feel the need to provide a translation, then this can be done in brackets after the first occurrence.
I would actually have to split hairs further with Robin, because I feel that round brackets are more suitable for this purpose given that here we are providing an alternative that constitutes part of the text. Square brackets in legal translations should, I feel, be reserved for translator's comments which are independent of the text such as the ubiquitous "[illegible]" or for descriptions of features that are not purely textual such as "[signature]" or "[stamp of x notary public]". This is my feeling, but I would be interested to know what other colleagues think.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:49
Italian to English
+ ...
Depends on the organisation Sep 26, 2007

Some international organisations have an official name in various languages - for instance, the World Health Organisation (I refuse to write it with a "z") is the Organizzazione Mondiale della Sanità in Italian.

So you need to find out whether your Police have an official name in English or not. If not, I agree that it shouldn't be translated, although as Henry says, you could include a translation in square brackets* the first time it appears.

* As Robin says - I always use square brackets for any additions of this kind.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree Sep 26, 2007

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Some international organisations have an official name in various languages - for instance, the World Health Organisation (I refuse to write it with a "z") is the Organizzazione Mondiale della Sanità in Italian.

So you need to find out whether your Police have an official name in English or not. If not, I agree that it shouldn't be translated, although as Henry says, you could include a translation in square brackets* the first time it appears.

* As Robin says - I always use square brackets for any additions of this kind.

Spot on in my view.

Charline Helsmoortel  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Never translate names in offical documents Sep 26, 2007

If there is not an equivalent organisation in USA or GB, you can not translate the name, not even between brackets!!

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only International Organizations Have Tranalated Names Sep 26, 2007

The case that Marie-Hélène mentions applies to international organizations, only, and in their official languages only. The "Policía Federal Preventiva" is not an international organization so therefore its only official name is "Policía Federal Preventiva".

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Of course you can (and should) Sep 27, 2007

Charline Helsmoortel wrote:
If there is not an equivalent organisation in USA or GB, you can not translate the name, not even between brackets!!

Hi Charline,

I beg to disagree. As pointed out before, a translation should be included, as a matter of routine, in brackets or as a footnote after the first occurrence of the original name, just to inform the target readership. Only the original designation should be used thereafter. That being said, such a translation is in no way official but merely an approximation.

(On a related note, the same applies to names of laws/acts.)

Steffen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of organization names in contracts.

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums