What books would you recommend on website translation, localisation and translation in general?
Thread poster: Nathalie White
Nathalie White
Nathalie White  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 07:52
English to French
+ ...
Oct 8, 2007

Hello everyone,

I am looking for interesting books on website translation, localisation and translation in general.

I have tried Amazon.com but there are only a few books and I am not too sure that they will thoroughly cover the subject.

Could anyone of you be kind enough to recommend any good books on the subject? What were the books that you found extremely useful and informative during your career?

Thanks for your help.

Nat
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am looking for interesting books on website translation, localisation and translation in general.

I have tried Amazon.com but there are only a few books and I am not too sure that they will thoroughly cover the subject.

Could anyone of you be kind enough to recommend any good books on the subject? What were the books that you found extremely useful and informative during your career?

Thanks for your help.

Nat

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-08 11:14]
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:52
English to Dutch
+ ...
Localization - Bert Esselink Oct 8, 2007

Hi,

AFAIK Bert Esselink is the best in the field of localisation. He wrote a book titled: A Practical Guide to Localization.
Parts of it are rather technical, but it's a good introduction.

Good luck!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:52
Flemish to English
+ ...
Miseria y esplendor de la traducción Oct 8, 2007

Keeping in mind the content of this essay written by José Ortega y Gasset might come handy when translating.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ditto Oct 8, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:
AFAIK Bert Esselink is the best in the field of localisation.

Yes, I was just about to say the same thing.

Unfortunately Bert seems to focus rather heavily on Windows localisation with precious little about Linux and opensource systems, even though that's where a large chunk of localisation is happening.

For comprehensive information on some aspects of l10n, see the "Localisation Guide" here:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What books would you recommend on website translation, localisation and translation in general?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »