Mobile menu

Experiences with the \"Translator Client Review\"?
Thread poster: Todd Field

Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
Feb 15, 2003

Dear fellow translators,

I am writing to see if anyone has any experience with the Translator Client Review at

For those that have, do you consider this a pretty authoritative source of information on agency payment habits? Is this the accepted \"go-to\" place for this type of information, or are there other forums that are more often used?

Thanks for your input!

Todd and Monica

Direct link Reply with quote
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:44
Try multiple sources, take all data with a grain of salt Feb 15, 2003

The four (thanks for the reminder, Nathalie!) principle resources for risk management with regard to clients are TCR ( ), TransPayment ( ), Payment Practices ( ) and the Blue Board ( ).

Use them all, but balance the information you get from each against your own judgement and against your first-hand experience with the client / potential client. Then apply other risk management techniques as you find appropriate (consider a contract, partial payment in advance, etc.)

Local time: 12:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
agree with Henry... Feb 15, 2003

I use all three, but not everyone does, so the more places you check, the more likely it is that you will find some info. I recently posted a query on TCR and had no one respond, but got two (unfavorable) references with the same query on TransPayment. Of course, the same situation often occurs in reverse, i.e. responses on TCR and none on TransPayment, and another of my queries got an answer on the Blue Board and nothing on the other two. If your question is whether TCR is worth the $12 a year, well, to me it is (an ounce of prevention, and all that). I can think of at least two jobs I turned down in the last year that I might have taken if I hadn\'t read unfavorable feedback from other translators about the agencies in question--and I really have neither the time or the energy to devote to chasing down payment for work I\'ve done.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Henry, don't forget this other list... Feb 15, 2003

The original PP List:

It\'s free to join and you will also obtain a wealth of information.

I agree that the more lists you belong to, the better your chances of getting feedback.

I also belong to the TCR list and the $12.00 is well worth the money in my opinion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experiences with the \"Translator Client Review\"?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs