Mobile menu

File name keeps changing when creating a doc in Word 2007?
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:04
Partial member (2003)
German to English
Oct 11, 2007

I just got Word 2007. When I just type over an existing Word document, everything seems to be more or less OK. But when I create a Word document from scratch, my file name keeps changing to ".docx" So even if I go and change it to the desired ".doc", it still keeps changing to ".docx" at the end when I attach it. Are other people having this problem and is there something I can do?

By the way, sometimes even when I type over a document, it tries to save the document, but underscores are being read with the wrong characters.

For example, let's say I want to save a document that is:

Vancouver_Canada_presentation.doc

It will try to save it as:

Vancouver%20Canada%20presentation.doc

???

I really don't understand this, although it seems that it is less of a problem because I can simply type in the correct name and it remains.

Thanks.

[Edited at 2007-10-11 16:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's strange... Oct 11, 2007

I had to send this document to the client. It had the ".docx" bit. She said she couldn't open it, even though I could.

????

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:04
English to French
+ ...
Reinstall Word Oct 11, 2007

I would reinstall Word, as what you describe seems non standard, to say the least.

Also, if you are using Word 2007 and your client uses an earlier version, then it is sad to say that the document you are sending to them is incompatible with their software. You send them a .docx, but their software only reads .doc.

You can save documents as Word 97, Word 2000, Word XP, etc., in Word 2007, and this may in most cases make the document compatible again with older versions. However, if you use functions specific to Word 2007 which didn't exist in earlier versions, some of your content may shift, because the effect of these recently added functions will disappear. So, before editing a document, check to make sure there is no content that you will have to use Word 2007 specific functions.

I hope you have kept your older version of Word - it may come in handy!

[Edited at 2007-10-11 16:54]

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:04
English to Swedish
+ ...
When everything else fails, read the manual! Oct 11, 2007

Click on the multi-coloured circle in the upper left corner

Chose 'Save As'

Chose 'Word 97-2003 Document'

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

[Edited at 2007-10-11 16:56]

Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It worked... Oct 11, 2007

Thanks, Sven. That worked fine. It is now only ".doc". I assume the client only had Word 2003. I will try to remember to use this other option in the future, although I'm still not exactly sure why it had the ".docx" bit in the first place.

quote]Sven Petersson wrote:

Click on the multi-coloured circle in the upper left corner

Chose 'Save As'

Chose 'Word 97-2003 Document'

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

[Edited at 2007-10-11 16:56] [/quote]

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It's very easy to change the default Oct 11, 2007

Hi again, Ron!

Yes, the default document format in Word 2007 is a new one, called, ".docx". Certainly, most of your clients will not be able to open the documents from you, as, at this point in time a large number of them still have Word 2002 or 2003.

As I have German, and you have English, I have found the instructions in English for you, so that, once you have changed the default setting, you will automatically always get ".doc" format in future, and will not have to remember each time:

http://www.ejabs.com/blog/2007/03/change-word-2007-default-saving-format-to-compatibility-mode/

Best regards,

Astrid

[Edited at 2007-10-11 18:13]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
DOCX versus DOC Oct 11, 2007

Ron Stelter wrote:
I just got Word 2007. ...

Ron also wrote:
I will try to remember to use this other option in the future, although I'm still not exactly sure why it had the ".docx" bit in the first place.

The reason for the DOCX is that this file format is totally different from the DOC file format. It is a pseudo open format, very similar to the ODT format used by OpenOffice.org and Google Documents. It is sufficiently open that you can now use OmegaT to translate it...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File name keeps changing when creating a doc in Word 2007?

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs