Shoe size 47
Thread poster: xxxwonita
xxxwonita
China
Local time: 15:16
Oct 26, 2007

I come across "shoe size 47" in a German text. Must this size be converted to another size for the US listeners?

Thank you in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:16
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Google is the tool Oct 26, 2007

I entered "shoe size conversion" and after a couple of clicks found a few tables

In http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/conchart.htm they say 12.5
In http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_shoes_mens.htm they say 13

Please check if you find a confirmation elsewhere of either values.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2007-10-26 18:40]

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:16
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Ask the client for their preference, or Oct 26, 2007

at least, add "European" Shoe Size 47.

Have a great day,
Monika

Bin Tiede wrote:

Must this size be converted to another size for the US listeners?

Thank you in advance!

xxxwonita
China
TOPIC STARTER
I am a tourist guide Oct 26, 2007

Here is a little bit more information about my question:

I am a tourist guide who conducts tours in English as well. I show the tourists the old measurement system made on the wall of the old town hall: the city shoe, the city ell and the city fathom. The size of the old city shoe equals the present shoe size 47 for Germany and for China. But I don't know what shoe size system is used in the USA, whether the American tourists have an idea how big shoe size 47 is.

Besides, I often show the tourists certain buildings with a height of xxx meters. Do they need to be converted to inches for the Americans too? Actually I prefer that the Americans adapt themselves to the universal metric system, at least when they are in the European continent.

[Edited at 2007-10-26 19:24]

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

shoe size vs metric Oct 26, 2007

Hi Bin,

Buildings in metres are easy - divide by three, you've got it in feet (roughly); or just estimate in yards, which are 36 inches to a metre's 39.

Shoe sizes are different. I've no idea how a shoe size can be 47 - the largest shoe size available in my local shops is 11 for women, generally 13 for men. I did know a man who took a size 17 shoe - but he was 6 foot 9 (what's that in metres? ) and had to get them by special order.

If your tourists need this info, you could refer them to the websites GF has mentioned.

Nancy

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Shoe sizes and metrics Oct 26, 2007

Maybe you could print out and laminate some shoe size conversion charts to hand to people who have questions. It's too complicated to memorize.

The U.S., for exmple, has THREE different shoe sizing systems: one for men, one for women, and one for children. In the U.S., a women's size 8 is about the same size as a men's size 6.

The U.K. uses an entirely different system. And if you have tourists from other English-speaking countries, they may know yet another system.

As for metric versus imperial measures of height, I think the most you need to do is to mention that a meter is just a bit longer than a yard. Perhaps the international tourist industry should not be TOO accommodating to those of us with a shaky grasp of international measures. In theory, Americans go abroad in search of the exotic, and few things are more exotic to us than a centimeter or a liter.

[Edited at 2007-10-26 20:02]

xxxwonita
China
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 26, 2007

gianfranco wrote:
I entered "shoe size conversion" and after a couple of clicks found a few tables
In http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/conchart.htm they say 12.5
In http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_shoes_mens.htm they say 13
Please check if you find a confirmation elsewhere of either values.
bye
Gianfranco

I show the tourists the medieval city shoe, emphasizing:"it equals today's shoe size 47", they know immediately what a huge size it is. For the oversea English-speaking tourists, I just show them the shoe without mentioning any size whatsoever. I felt it was less convincing.

Now I can even offer them a shopping tour for shoes!

Thanks!
Bin

[Edited at 2007-10-26 20:20]

rchan
Local time: 20:16
Chinese to English
+ ...
draw a diagram Oct 26, 2007

I think most Americans can deal with metric length and distances.

About the shoe size, as others have mentioned above, it's not just the Americans who will not know size 47.

Why not just draw a diagram showing how large size 47 is? Then people can just tell by looking or placing their own foot on the diagram.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Really? Oct 26, 2007

rchan wrote:
I think most Americans can deal with metric length and distances.

If I hadn't lived overseas, I probably would know hardly anything about the metric system. We did a unit on it in school when I was twelve, but that was about it.

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:16
German to English
+ ...
Multiply by three Oct 26, 2007

[quote]NancyLynn wrote:

Buildings in metres are easy - divide by three, you've got it in feet (roughly); or just estimate in yards, which are 36 inches to a metre's 39.

I think you meant "multiply" (by 3¼would be pretty accurate).

Robin

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:16
French to Spanish
+ ...
Could help. Oct 26, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_size
And a lot of other links in the net.
In Mexico, I'm 7.5, in Europe, 44.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Shoes Oct 27, 2007

I have found that in the US I wear a size 10, in Mexico size 29 and in Chile (perhaps the same as Europe), a size 45.

But I must always try them on first, for that can vary. Size means nothing.

Insofar as expecting my countrymen (Americans) to understand anything foreign, it is usually too much to expect. The only language 99% understand is English, and only as spoken by another American. Insofar as measurements go, they think they can only understand the antiquated US system, but forget about metric. But then ask them how many pints to a gallon or how many ounces to a pint (or a pound) and they may balk at that.

We hope that might change, but a lot needs to be done in our educational system and in the area of world awareness.

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:16
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
from shoe label: EUR 47 - US 13 Oct 27, 2007

I recently bought a pair of shoes size 47 for my son (age 12) - on the label it says US: 13

I confirm they are pretty big indeed!

(I wonder where I'll be able to find shoes for him next year, as he's still growing...)

Roberta

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:16
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
sourcing shoes @ Roberta Oct 28, 2007

Roberta Anderson wrote:

I wonder where I'll be able to find shoes for him next year, as he's still growing...

Hi Roberta,
I know the problem.... My husband varies between 47 + 48 (193 cm tall). Getting shoes for him has become easier in recent years. One of my son's friends has size 52 (195 cm), and he get shoes in Frankfurt (High and Mighty ?). I could ask for specifics if you are interested. You may have a better choice of large shoes here in Germany as the average German is probably larger than the average Italian. Mail order could be a little dodgy. Good luck
Jill

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shoe size 47

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums