A story about one translator...
Thread poster: Pitagora
Pitagora
Pitagora
Serbian
Nov 4, 2007

I'm sorry for disturbing but this is urgently.

There is one story about one translator who had mission to translate word "theatre", He didn't know how.. He looked through window and he found answer...

That's only waht I know.. chan you give me full story or more details. It's urrgently.

thanks !!!

Lilth_84
Lilth_84
Local time: 01:35
Russian to Italian
+ ...
J. L. Borges, "Averroes' Search" Nov 7, 2007

I don't know if it's the same story you're talking about... there's a short story by Borges, "Averroe's search", in which Arab philosopher Averroes is translating Aristotle, and he cannot find a translation for the words "comedy" and "tragedy" because he doesn't know what theatre is. At a certain point, he looks out and sees:

"some half-naked children [...] playing. One, standing on another's shoulders, was obviously playing the part of a muezzin; with his eyes tightly closed, he ch
... See more
I don't know if it's the same story you're talking about... there's a short story by Borges, "Averroe's search", in which Arab philosopher Averroes is translating Aristotle, and he cannot find a translation for the words "comedy" and "tragedy" because he doesn't know what theatre is. At a certain point, he looks out and sees:

"some half-naked children [...] playing. One, standing on another's shoulders, was obviously playing the part of a muezzin; with his eyes tightly closed, he chanted, "There is no god but the God." The one who held him motionlessly played the part of the minaret; another, abject in the dust and on his knees, the part of the faithful worshipers. (149)]
The impersonations of these children, as Borges hints, are nothing other than what Aristotle considered the seed of drama"

So, the solution is right there, but he doesn't realise it:

"Averroes only sees children playing, and returns to his work".

(Quotations were taken from this article: http://rmmla.wsu.edu/ereview/60.1/articles/sharkey.asp)
Collapse

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
Bravo, Lilth Nov 15, 2007

Lilth_84 wrote:

"some half-naked children
aying. One, standing on another's shoulders, was obviously playing the part of a muezzin; with his eyes tightly closed, he chanted, "There is no god but the God." The one who held him motionlessly played the part of the minaret; another, abject in the dust and on his knees, the part of the faithful worshipers. (149)]
The impersonations of these children, as Borges hints, are nothing other than what Aristotle considered the seed of drama"

So, the solution is right there, but he doesn't realise it:

"Averroes only sees children playing, and returns to his work".

(Quotations were taken from this article: http://rmmla.wsu.edu/ereview/60.1/articles/sharkey.asp) [/quote]

To understand and react so efficiently with so little context... Admirable work!

Lilth_84
Lilth_84
Russian to Italian
+ ...
well, thank you... Nov 17, 2007

Actually, I haven't read the whole story, the "window" episode was quoted in Umberto Eco's book about translation which I've just finished reading (can't remember the English title).

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:35
German to English
+ ...
Eco's book Dec 1, 2007

Lilth_84 wrote:

Actually, I haven't read the whole story, the "window" episode was quoted in Umberto Eco's book about translation which I've just finished reading (can't remember the English title).

The English title is "Mouse or Rat?: Translation as Negotiation"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mouse-Rat-Translation-as-Negotiation/dp/0297830015

Lilth_84
Lilth_84
Russian to Italian
+ ...
Thank you! Dec 3, 2007

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A story about one translator...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »