how to organize your day (work/life balance)
Thread poster: apod
apod
Local time: 08:36
Italian to German
+ ...
Nov 15, 2007

Hello to everybody.
It's only one year that I work with translations. Now I have to translate a 300 pages web site about tourism. I work 8 or 10 hours per day and the result is 1-2 pages per day (i have to finish as soon as possible). Do you think that I have to reduce the hours and have my life?
I do this question because i'm at house all the day, everyday and I'm becoming crazy.
thank you

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-16 05:28]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mirjam Graham
Local time: 00:36
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Get a co-worker? Nov 15, 2007

Sounds to me like you need help on this project, maybe split it up 50/50 to reduce your stresslevel?
Wish you luck!

apod wrote:

Hello to everybody.
It's only one year that I work with translations. Now I have to translate a 300 pages web site about tourism. I work 8 or 10 hours per day and the result is 1-2 pages per day (i have to finish as soon as possible). Do you think that I have to reduce the hours and have my life?
I do this question because i'm at house all the day, everyday and I'm becoming crazy.
thank you

[Edited at 2007-11-15 19:42]

tinageta  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
1-2 pages? Nov 15, 2007

apod wrote:
I work 8 or 10 hours per day and the result is 1-2 pages per day (i have to finish as soon as possible).

Maybe I am missing something, but how is it possible to work 10 hours per day and get only 2 pages done? With all due respect, are you really qualified for this job?

apod wrote:
Do you think that I have to reduce the hours and have my life?
thank you

Go out, when you've finished your 8-10 hours. Most people (me included) work at the office for 8-10 hours, and I don't think they get much "life" during the working hours.

[Edited at 2007-11-15 22:12]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Schedule Nov 15, 2007

I guess these "pages" are pages of the website, so they can contain many more words than an A4 page.

In this case I would definitely keep track of the progress. First, establish the number of words, and check how much you have been doing recently. Then verify whether the deadline is reasonable in view opf your recent output. If it is, then set daily objectives. I would suggest distributing them evenly: as you are gaining speed it will become easier. Leave sufficient time for checking - e.g., allocate 1/4 of the entire amount of available time to reworking your translation. And be sure to leave a few extra days just in case.

If the deadline is too short in view of your recent output then verify whether you are allowed to outsource parts of your work. If you have some colleagues with whom you have already worked then it is easier. You may also try to renegotiate the deadline. "As soon as possible" is not a deadline. What did the client specify in the purchase order? By the way, you do have a purchase order, right?

Attila

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
cat tool Nov 16, 2007

i know that page is not an objective measurement compared to word count. but 1-2 pages for one day means you still have a lot to go. maybe you can use a cat tool that can handle web page/html so you can benefit from the repetition and dodge the complex formatting. just my two cents.

Haiyang Ai  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
Working with HTML code? Nov 16, 2007

1-2 pages a day seems a little bit slow. Are you dealing with lots of HTML code? If so, using Trados TagEditor to do the translation of htm/html/php/asp would save you lots of time.

Best regards,
Haiyang Ai

Chinese Translator

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:36
Member (2004)
German to English
You have to get through this phase Nov 16, 2007

Hi!
Translators who are just starting out have to get through this phase. It will take time but eventually you will have gained enough experience and are earning enough to start selecting the projects that you take on. So you may be in this phase for some time yet but there will finally come a day when you can get the balance right and maybe only work 6 hours a day. Also, once this long project is over reward yourself with a few days or a week off - you deserve it.
And as for getting tired during long days, you need some time off - go for a walk, do some sport, take an afternoon nap. You will perform much better if you give yourself some time off. The project seems everlasting but you will get it done eventually and then you can start living again.
Hope that helps.
Gillian

[Edited at 2007-11-16 07:51]

apod
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Nov 16, 2007

Thanks to everybody, I think that all your suggestions are very useful.
I have to explane something:
1)I know somebody work 8-10 hours a day and they are not stressed, but they work at an office I'm closed in my room all the day

2)My result is 2 pages a day, because I follow all translation stages and I translate a term only when after a long research I'm sure that it is correct. Do you think that I have to work in this way? Also the expert translator work in this way?

Anyway my general question was the following: is my way of working normal? How is a typical expert translator day?

It's a day that I use wordfast and it seems that I'm more speed, but I don' know it very well, I still don't know what it is capable to do.

Thank you

Anne Koth  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
psychological organisation Nov 16, 2007

When I have a really long translation, for the sake of my sanity, I often organise it as follows:

1. Print out the whole thing on paper. You can set up the printer to put two pages on one side of an A4 sheet, for example, to make it smaller - it doesn't have to be easy to read: having it on paper just gives you a much better overview of how much there is.

2. Divide the text to fit the number of weeks you have to complete the translation, with a week or two to spare as Attila said. For example, add the number of words in the text and divide it by the number of weeks, then put a Post-It note or big fat line after each section. This way, if you're still not sure, you can see how you're doing after the first day, or at least the first week, and decide whether you need to find someone to help you with it.

You might even want to put together a table showing which section you have to do by when, so you can put a big tick by each one when you've done it. That can help stop you feel overwhelmed and give you the feeling you are achieving something rather than just drowning in the work.

Also, promise yourself a real treat at the end of the project (new clothes, whatever) and organise a holiday, telling your clients you won't be there for two or three days.

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Don't print it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nov 16, 2007

When I have a really long translation, it is so long, so long, that I would never print it out! That would just be a way of wasting lots of paper! Think of the trees!

In my opinion you get experience with words and lines and after a time working as a translator you know how much you can handle a day (and that makes it easy to make a working plan).

Personally I don't think of "having my life" when I have lots of work (mz work is my life - I love it). I make little breaks every hour or so, read the newspaper, walk around, eat something, make some phonecalls - up to 14 hours a day. I insist on watching on the news on TV, cooking dinner for my husband and me and reading good books before I go to sleep - that's having fun when there are tons of work to be done. Sometimes I get 3-4 days with no work at all - and then I do have $$ to enjoy life.

Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Get a pet Nov 17, 2007

Hi,

How about getting a pet to keep you from going nuts being locked up in your room all day? I feel that animals have a way of keeping one sane. I don't have a pet, but my husband works at home as well, which has more or less the same effect .

As to the way you work, you will eventually start feeling more confident and things will speed up. If you don't feel confident about a translation you should of course check it - just don't overdo it, i.e. don't brood over expressions for too long, because it often doesn't result in better ideas but, on the contrary, robs you of all confidence eventually (like, if you start saying some word over and over again, it will stop making sense after you've said it 20 times).

Keep going!
Nadja

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Come clean ... Nov 17, 2007

apod wrote:

Thanks to everybody, I think that all your suggestions are very useful.
I have to explane something:
1)I know somebody work 8-10 hours a day and they are not stressed, but they work at an office I'm closed in my room all the day

2)My result is 2 pages a day, because I follow all translation stages and I translate a term only when after a long research I'm sure that it is correct. Do you think that I have to work in this way? Also the expert translator work in this way?

Anyway my general question was the following: is my way of working normal? How is a typical expert translator day?

It's a day that I use wordfast and it seems that I'm more speed, but I don' know it very well, I still don't know what it is capable to do.

Thank you

I'm going to be blunt, but somebody needs to say it - there is too much pussyfooting going on here.

Whilst I sympathise with your general predicament of feeling cooped up etc (I'm sure we all do at times and as Gillian says it takes time to find the balance), BUT you've obviously not got the experience (from what you are saying and asking) to be taking on a job of this size and so really have no business doing so.

IMHO, you need to:

a) Come clean with the client and say you are in way over your head; or

b) Find a senior and more experienced colleague to work with you on this project.

More importantly, learn from the experience and don't take on more projects of this volume until you're ready. Try and find someone to act as your mentor.

Best of luck
Deborah

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to English
What language are you translating into? Nov 17, 2007

You haven't told us exactly what you are doing. According to your profile your native language is Italian but you state that you translate from Italian into German, French, Spanish and English. You should be translating into your native language, not out of it - translate out of your other languages into Italian and your work will be much faster and of better quality.

seraalice  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Don´t panic Nov 18, 2007

Hi,
it happens almost to everyone. Don´t worry everything will be O. K. Take your break, go out, talk to friends ...
Remember nothing is more important than your own health and that stress is the main factor which can destroy it.
Good luck!
Alice

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to organize your day (work/life balance)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs