Mobile menu

How can a translator become a millionaire?
Thread poster: Dante1
Dante1
English
Dec 27, 2001

Are there translators-millionaires (\"self-made\" I mean ) who have become rich without changing the profession (most of us really love). Or these two words are fully incompatible? What do you think? I am not certain, of course, that those who are on a sure path to becoming rich will share their opinions. However it\'s a very interesting subject and discussion might bring out something new, and the world is large enough for all of us.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jacek Krankowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Specialize, form a team, win big corporate clients, stay in good health AND/OR: Run an agency! Dec 27, 2001

...\'cos even if you were translating at an average rate of 15c/wd x 4,000 wds/day x 26 days/mo., you would \"only\" be making $187,000/yr., so it would take you 5.5 yrs. to make your first US million (gross). That\'s realistically closer to 8 yrs., even if you are a much sought-after interpreter. So, depending on your criteria of being a millionaire, the only way of becoming a net one AND not giving up the ghost in the process, is, in my opinion, to participate in a group effort.

Good luck in the new year!

DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use the Latest Payment to Buy Lottery Tickets? Dec 27, 2001

Any translator who sets out to become a millionaire clearly chose the wrong profession!

Res ipse loquitur.

Unless, of course, he/she just might be the next Umberto Eco.

The odds are better betting on the lottery.

Ecco Eco!

You think my answer is facetious? I think the question is fatuous!

Rich (in spirit...if not in pocket)

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 12:59
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
work, work, be professional Dec 27, 2001

hard work and after this: hard work,

than build an small group ,.. a bigger group, ...

be professional in all parts of work

translation, dtp, faktura, client contact, ...

and maybe i future, many people will word for you and you are a....

xxxwilliamson
Dutch to English
+ ...
People Service Profit Dec 27, 2001

He who works alone merely adds things up; he who works in a team squares the output.

No individual translator ever became a millionaire, but some agency-owners are. After all, it is people service profit which enables big corporations to be successful and not the \"I\" attitude (cfr. ATA-code) of the translator.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you want to be millionaire or translator? Chose one. Dec 27, 2001

I don\'t think a translator working only on translations could be millionaire... I do love being a translator because... I love languages, to help people understand other people\'s ideas and words... But as I\'m able to translate only (\"only\"?) 2,500 daily words I\'m sure I will never be a millionaire, even If I were well paid. You could start a translation agency, but you have to be a wise businessman, not necessarily a good translator. It helps, sure. Also, buy a lottery ticket! Why not?

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

Franck Abate  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:59
English to French
+ ...
how to be a millionaire translator? Dec 28, 2001

Make other people work and cash in.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 06:59
German to English
+ ...
Go to www.abc.com.... Dec 28, 2001

... and apply for \"Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?\".

And if you make it on to the show, give Regis your final answer and hope for the best

Medved
Ukraine
Local time: 13:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 25, 2002

...or just convert your dollar profit in Italian Liras or Japanese Yens, then see the figures, make big eyes and close them… and fly in illusions...try it, it must heal.

Dante1
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 26, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-25 12:18, medved wrote:

...or just convert your dollar profit in Italian Liras or Japanese Yens, then see the figures, make big eyes and close them… and fly in illusions...try it, it must heal.

Spasibo, tovarisch!

Andras Szivak
Member (2004)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not easy but it is possible! Jan 28, 2002

1. Dictate instead of typing! 5 times faster! Use speach recognition softwares like Dragon Naturally Speaking! You can translate 40000-50000 charakters daily!

2. Undertake only large projects! Small translations are not profitable.

3. Make ideally isolated conditions for your work.

4. Forget about translation memories!

5. Go in for sports every day (the most suitable sport for a translator is skiing)

Although I am not a millionaire (not yet) but I am earning 8-10 times more than an engineer (my original profession) in my country.

Dante1
English
TOPIC STARTER
Dragon Jan 29, 2002

That sounds great! But are these tools like Dragon really that helpful? I tried it once but there were so many mistakes...But of course having such a tool, if it works perfectly, must help a lot.

Andras Szivak
Member (2004)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not easy but it is possible! Jan 29, 2002

1. Dictate instead of typing! 5 times faster! Use speach recognition softwares like Dragon Naturally Speaking! You can translate 40000-50000 charakters daily!

2. Undertake only large projects! Small translations are not profitable.

3. Make ideally isolated conditions for your work.

5. Go in for sports every day (the most suitable sport for a translator is skiing)

Although I am not a millionaire (not yet) but I am earning 8-10 times more than an engineer (my original profession) in my country.

[addsig]

Evelyna Radoslavova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:59
English to French
+ ...
A couple of things I don't understand... Feb 5, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-29 13:01, Szivák András wrote:

Jeez, I\'d love to see one of these translations! Do you proofread?

Quote:

Why?!

Quote:

I love skiing (and live close to one of the best mountains in the whole wide world), but again, why!? And how can you make time for skiing every day, while working full-time?

[/quote]

Kidding aside - buy a lottery ticket

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-05 21:55 ]

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:59
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Used to be easy Feb 8, 2002

It used to be easy: move to Italy, and get paid in Lire. Since the Lira was at 2,000 to the dollar, you just needed to earn $500 to be a \"millionaire\".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can a translator become a millionaire?

Advanced search

Translation news

Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs