Mobile menu

Weekend rates
Thread poster: jojikiba
jojikiba
Local time: 15:04
Japanese to English
Nov 29, 2007

Do you, as a freelance translator, charge your clients more when you have to work at weekends or at unsociable hours?

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Chaudhuri  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:34
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Weekend Rates Nov 29, 2007

I work on weekends only if the job is very urgent and I am free from my personal work or leisure, and normally charge 50% more.

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
50% Nov 29, 2007

is my surcharge as well. But I only apply it to jobs that come in Friday afternoon, to be done by Monday morning.

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Partial member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
40-50% for weekends or holidays Nov 29, 2007

for jobs that could not be done otherwise (i.e. coming in friday and to be delivered monday or that anyway cannot be finished if I don't work too during the weekend/holiday. In this case I charge less, depending on how much weekend/holiday work is envolved for the whole job.)

I never accept jobs to be done overnight, though, but I believe that here 100% more would be appropiate.

We, as any other person, are not supposed to work from monday to sunday and if we have to, we should charge more.

Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:04
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
My weekend isn't everybody's weekend Dec 1, 2007

I don't charge extra, for the simple reason that I frequently take time off on regular weekdays - the freedom to do that is, in my opinion, one of the great blessings of being a translator.

Nadja

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No Dec 1, 2007

jojikiba wrote:
Do you, as a freelance translator, charge your clients more when you have to work at weekends or at unsociable hours?

No. If I don't have time to do the work (if I have other plans), I simply calculate my time as if those days didn't exist in the schedule. If I have no plans for the weekend, why charge more? I mean, what would be purpose of it be?

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:04
Member (2003)
German to English
Most certainly! Dec 1, 2007

We do indeed bill a surcharge for weekend work, though generally only if the job comes in late Friday afternoon and is to be delivered early Monday morning. In some cases where we have made it clear that there is no available capacity during the week and the customer cannot wait until the following week a surcharge will be applied.

I haven't noticed that these surcharges have any dampening effect on the number of requests late on Fridays, but at least the extra cash is useful. It should not, however, be a motivator for working every weekend. You must have downtime to stay healthy and productive in the long run! We generally only do these weekend gigs for *very* interesting texts or very special clients.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
50% Dec 4, 2007

unless I made the decision (i.e., if I had plans of taking a weekday off and had to compensate the client for that).

A key question to settle in applying surcharges is WHEN does the client make a request that oversteps reasonable bounds. I've stated in my profile, for instance, that 3,000 words a day (24 hours) is reasonable for me. Hence, a client who gives me 2,500 labelled "urgent" and expects it after two days does not get any extra charge. On the other hand, 7,000 for a period of 48 hours will get a 50% surcharge over 1,000 words. So it's fairly simple. I don't make the client pay for my decisions to use my time, but on the other hand, s/he must understand when the work involves an imposition or working unsocial hours.

Nothing against free enterprise. I just don't want to set the labour movement back to the middle ages

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weekend rates

Advanced search

Translation news

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs