Thread poster: Mohammad Khan

Mohammad Khan
Afghanistan
Local time: 07:31
English to Dari
+ ...
Dec 8, 2007

Hello,

I am translating for more than I year now. Starting from having no idea of what translation is all about and how this whole thing works, in terms of payments, who provides these jobs and how much market is out there, and reaching to point where I feel pretty comfortable and confidante with doing any type of translation job. And of course I have been through different ways of translating and have done some really bad translation on the way.

But somehow I feel the need for becoming some sort of formal and getting a certificate or a degree.

After doing a little research what I found was that every certificate is offered in specific language pair and I couldn't find any place where a certificate in my language pair is offered. I hope I am not totally wrong.

Now the questions is: Is there any type of certificate that is not specific for a certain language? Or is there any other way around, it can be some informal or self study or anything else.

Thanks,

Mohammad

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
US Military Dec 8, 2007

I do not know who or how, but you might try contacting the US Military somehow. With US involvement in Afghanistan I would think that services involving your language (teaching, translation, etc.) would be very much in demand.

They might also be able to provide you with some certifications, but most importantly, they may be able to provide you with a good job now.

One institution involved in this is the Defense Language Institute (DLI) in Monterey, California.

Maybe someone here can provide you information on how to contact them. It would probably have to be done through the right channels, that would surely be important.

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:01
English to French
+ ...
Chamber of commerce Dec 8, 2007

Translations studies can be monolingual but remain more theoretical than practical. I suppose degrees can be prepared at universities in Canada.

Certificates in translation usually involve practical training in one language pair.

Have you try to contact commercial bodies (Chamber of commerce) or embassies of countries where your working languages are used ? They might have a training program for translators and interpreters.

You could also contact immigration services in your country of residence and get "certified" or registered with them.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:01
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
My thoughts Dec 8, 2007

Many people get degrees/certificates to distinguish them from the many other people in their language pair who don't have certificates/degrees. As part of their training, they have language-specific training. I imagine the number of Dari speakers in Canada is too limited to support a Dari translation degree program.

If you want to look at the Defense Language Institute, their web site is http://www.dliflc.edu . They are primarily set up to support the US Armed Forces, although their training materials are available for sale to the general public. The US Armed Forces have a Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT), but I imagine it has been pretty well established that you speak Dari and your score on this test would be irrelevant unless you plan to work for the US Government.

If you talk to your local university, they probably have classes on translation theory and such. You may be able to set up what we used to call "self-directed study" in the US (which is not the same thing as independent study). A thesis advisor is assigned, you get courses approved by this thesis advisor, you do research to support this thesis, take the courses and write the thesis. You still have the advantages of being in university classes and getting a diploma at the end. I recommend setting up an appointment with someone, not merely looking at their web site. They may have a program in Middle Eastern Studies or some field that isn't translation per se that might be of interest to you.

Your clients are consumers of translation services. I recommend you ask them for recommendations about programs. They know which programs they think meet their needs (which might give you some ideas about which programs to pursue).

Mohammad Khan
Afghanistan
English to Dari
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 8, 2007

Thanks everyone for their inputs.

Regarding US ministry of Defense, I have seen some of their translator in documentaries or those on YouTube videos and it doesn't take much to realize that their standards are quite low and I wasn't surprised when I clicked on one of the links for materials on Pashto and found out that the links was not in work and rest were simply links to BBC Pashto and VOA Pashto services.

Thanks again,

Mohammad

The Misha
Local time: 23:01
Russian to English
+ ...
Why bother? Dec 9, 2007

Translation is more of a craft than a science. It's a skill, not a piece of paper that matters. Due to an unfortunate string of circumstances, your particular pair seems to be in high demand now. Plus you live in the New World, not in Europe where they seem to be hell-bent on credentials. If you are proficient enough, just go work and enjoy the cash flow. Or go back to school and study something else you like to get a normal degree.

Mohammad Khan
Afghanistan
English to Dari
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not that High demand Dec 9, 2007

The Misha wrote:

Translation is more of a craft than a science. It's a skill, not a piece of paper that matters. Due to an unfortunate string of circumstances, your particular pair seems to be in high demand now. Plus you live in the New World, not in Europe where they seem to be hell-bent on credentials. If you are proficient enough, just go work and enjoy the cash flow. Or go back to school and study something else you like to get a normal degree.

To be honest it is not in that high demand, although there is a high demand for interpretation in Afghanistan by being in battle fields which I am not prepared for. As for as translation there is certainly high demand than pre 9/11 but it is still not that high and there are many Farsi linguists who pose like being Dari native and get our jobs. At the same time they are better established with lower rates, since they mostly live in Iran.

Regarding a normal degree, I do have a degree in Biology/Ecology. Going to school and getting a degree is not that easy for us as you stated above. I wish there was a forum dedicated only for discussing cultures.

I think Proz should really have such a forum since our community might be the most multicultural online community. So why shouldn't we have such a forum!

Thanks,

Mohammad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certificate

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs