Mobile menu

TRADOS Question
Thread poster: Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2003

In a paragraph, I have something like the following:

To do A, press 1. To do B, press 2. To do C, press 3. To do D, Press 4. To do E, press 5. To do F, press 6.

Is there any way that you can set the segmentation rule to break at the number + period combinations? right now, Trados treat them as a single sentence since the period is after a number and is construed as a decimal point probably.

Thanks for your help.

Libin

Direct link Reply with quote

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:22
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Shrink segment? Mar 7, 2003

Did you try clicking on \"Shrink segment?\"

It may work.

Monika

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, That is what I have been doing. Mar 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 17:09, monika wrote:

Did you try clicking on \"Shrink segment?\"

It may work.

Monika

Thanks, Monika, for your reminder. That is what I have been doing. I have quite few paragraphs that have the similar phrases from press 1 to press 8. To get the first item, you need shrink 7 times. It is kind of cumbersome.

Thanks,

Libin

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:22
Italian to English
Have you ticked "Number Stop"? Mar 7, 2003

If, in Workbench, you go to:

File\\Setup\\Segmentation Rules

and enable \"Number Stop\" by ticking the box, that should do the trick.

There\'s also a Help entry on the \"Full Stop End Rule\".

HTH

Giles

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:22
English to German
+ ...
Number Stop Mar 7, 2003

You can change the segmentation rules. In Workbench go to File/Setup/Segmentation rules.

For Stop Charakter . in the middle section Rules check Number Stop. Now a number followed by a dot should be the end of a segment.

In this or in other cases, you could also use a workaround with Search and Replace, thus preparing your Word file.

Search \". To do\"

and Replace by \". Paragraph mark To do\".

HTH

Daniel

Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:22
English to German
+ ...
Insert a tab character Mar 7, 2003

I often get files that were extracted from a .pdf, and there are only spaces following the period in a numbered list (or, for that matter, a bulleted list).

I simply prep the Word file by replacing the spaces after the period with a tab character, and then Trados will ignore the numbers in numbered steps. The same procedure works for bulleted lists.

It\'s a bit more work initially, but I consider it a good investment of my time. And it keeps the TM \"clean\".

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 17:39, Daniel Meier wrote:

You can change the segmentation rules. In Workbench go to File/Setup/Segmentation rules.

For Stop Charakter . in the middle section Rules check Number Stop. Now a number followed by a dot should be the end of a segment.

In this or in other cases, you could also use a workaround with Search and Replace, thus preparing your Word file.

Search \". To do\"

and Replace by \". Paragraph mark To do\".

HTH

Daniel

Thanks, Daniel, for your suggestion. I think I tried that before. However, if you check the \"Number Stop\" check box, Trados treat period as boundary marker ONLY if it is preceded by a number. If it is not preceded by a number, it will not be recognized as a sentence.

I will give it a little more test and see what happens.

Kind regards,

Libin

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-08 17:20]

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adding a tab should work. Mar 9, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 19:16, uel wrote:

I often get files that were extracted from a .pdf, and there are only spaces following the period in a numbered list (or, for that matter, a bulleted list).

I simply prep the Word file by replacing the spaces after the period with a tab character, and then Trados will ignore the numbers in numbered steps. The same procedure works for bulleted lists.

It\'s a bit more work initially, but I consider it a good investment of my time. And it keeps the TM \"clean\".

Thanks, Ulrike. Adding a tab should work. It looks like that we cannot always expect the program to do everything for us.

Thanks a lot.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS Question

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs