Survey: language requirements for MultiTerm DB (AR,CN,ET,HR,EL,LV,LT,NL,SV,HU,SL)
Thread poster: mindworker
mindworker
mindworker
German to English
Dec 20, 2007

Dear forum users,

We are in progress of expanding a MultiTerm database for several
different languages containing just single words or fixed terms.
Now we are interested, if there are special requirements for an
individual language. Up to now, we have two additional colums:

Gender and "Part of Speech"

Currently "Gender" contains the values "masculine", "femunine" and "neuter"

"POS" contains the values "noun","verb","adjective"
... See more
Dear forum users,

We are in progress of expanding a MultiTerm database for several
different languages containing just single words or fixed terms.
Now we are interested, if there are special requirements for an
individual language. Up to now, we have two additional colums:

"POS" contains the values "noun","verb","adjective","adverb"

Now here comes the question to you: Are these information helpful for a
possible translation, are there additional essential informations
missing, i.e. additional gender information or word classifications. All
suggestions are appreciated!

Best regards, Thomas Greiner

[Edited at 2007-12-20 08:59]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 08:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
What would be the use? Dec 21, 2007

I'm not sure I understand what would be the use or need for such a database. Wouldn't we be better off using an existing dictionary?

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Common gender might be useful Dec 26, 2007

"POS" contains the values "noun","verb","adjective","adverb"

In our database we also use the "Common" gender.

I think this was a request from the Danish translators, if I remember correctly.

Daniel

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:52
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
are there additional essential informations missing Dec 26, 2007

The problem starts when the meaning of the word is determined by the context. For instance aktivieren. Is it an Infinitive? Imperative? Gerund? Well, no problem for the English translators, they'll bulldoze through it with activate without even a blink. In Slovenian language I could have aktivirati, aktivirajte, aktiviranje - and some more that I have forgotten -.

In any case, this is not a subject for MultiTerm anyhow; trying to fill in contexts is pretty much like rewriting Dude
... See more
The problem starts when the meaning of the word is determined by the context. For instance aktivieren. Is it an Infinitive? Imperative? Gerund? Well, no problem for the English translators, they'll bulldoze through it with activate without even a blink. In Slovenian language I could have aktivirati, aktivirajte, aktiviranje - and some more that I have forgotten -.

In any case, this is not a subject for MultiTerm anyhow; trying to fill in contexts is pretty much like rewriting Duden and Webster again. No need to.

Practical hint: try to follow a strict rule one source item - one target item and have several entries for synonyms. Actually I hate synonyms - by the time I have PageDowned to the correct one, I could just as well type it myself. So - not too much of that either. And - spare the user and yourself the self-evident and useless entries a, the, I,me,she,we - the first 80% of the most often used (and thus known) words. The last 20% - the unknown, specialized, known-only-to-the-trade words - are what makes it or breaks it.

Regards

Vito

[Urejeno ob 2007-12-26 20:04]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey: language requirements for MultiTerm DB (AR,CN,ET,HR,EL,LV,LT,NL,SV,HU,SL)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »