Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 8, 2003

I refer of course to Ireland.

Recently I saw this topic had been raised but didn\'t have time to read, but becuase I had investigated the issue in the early days of the euro (and had a big fight over it!) it remained with me and when I got a chance I spoke to a couple of banks here.

Fist of all the EU \'official\' policy is that euro is singular, but in a most convoluted way of thinking, it also allows for plural usage. So much for prescription.
<
... See more
I refer of course to Ireland.

Recently I saw this topic had been raised but didn\'t have time to read, but becuase I had investigated the issue in the early days of the euro (and had a big fight over it!) it remained with me and when I got a chance I spoke to a couple of banks here.

Fist of all the EU \'official\' policy is that euro is singular, but in a most convoluted way of thinking, it also allows for plural usage. So much for prescription.

Banks here in Ireland follow the EU official line, and they refer to euro and cent, all in singular. The people on the street tend to use singular, but plural is also heard.

Collapse

elrubio
elrubio
German to Italian
+ ...
Euro-Italy Mar 9, 2003

In Italy we only use the singular \"euro\"

nobody use the grim plural: \"euri\"

Tutti usiamo la forma corretta: euro, anche per il plurale. ES: Ieri ho speso 125 euro per acquistare un lettore DVD.

In Italia \"euri\" non viene usato da nessuno, se non in tono scherzoso.

Altrimenti lo si considera un sintomo di bassa cultura di chi lo pronuncia

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:41
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Euro - in Albanian Mar 9, 2003

In Albanian we say \"Euro\" for both forms, singular and plural, but only for the Indefinite Form. When used in the Definite Form, then the word changes in both singular and plural forms, depending on different cases. For example the word receives a different suffix when used in different cases, so it is different for the nominative case, different for the ablative, dative, accusative, etc.

Examples:

Euro, Eurot, Euron, Eurove, Eurosh, Euroja etc.

[ This Message was ed
... See more
In Albanian we say \"Euro\" for both forms, singular and plural, but only for the Indefinite Form. When used in the Definite Form, then the word changes in both singular and plural forms, depending on different cases. For example the word receives a different suffix when used in different cases, so it is different for the nominative case, different for the ablative, dative, accusative, etc.

Examples:

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-09 18:45]
Collapse

Adriana Esposito
Adriana Esposito  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
Euro in Finnish Mar 10, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-09 18:34, monika wrote:

In Albanian we say \"Euro\" for both forms, singular and plural, but only for the Indefinite Form. When used in the Definite Form, then the word changes in both singular and plural forms, depending on different cases. For example the word receives a different suffix when used in different cases, so it is different for the nominative case, different for the ablative, dative, accusative, etc.... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-09 18:34, monika wrote:

Examples:

[ This Message was edited byn2003-03-09 18:45]

Also in Finnish \"euro\" is declined but I think that these languages behave differently compared to Italian, French, English etc. : here you are \"obliged\" to decline with suffixes as there are no prepositions, otherwise you risk meaningless sentences. So I wouldn\'t take these languages as an example.

Best,

adriana ▲ Collapse

Ricardo Fonseca
Ricardo Fonseca  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Euros in Portugal Mar 11, 2003

In Portugal it is said Euros in plural.

I am not sure but I believe it´s the only european member where it happens.
[addsig]

cfhope (X)
cfhope (X)
Portuguese to English
Dollars and pounds are also plural Mar 12, 2003

Hello,

I agree that plural of Euro should be Euros. Portugal is quite right here. We say dollars, pounds, francs, etc. so why should Euro not follow the rule. If any of you have an explanation, it would be great.

All the best

Mónica Machado

Member of ITI, IOL and APT

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
It probably will be euros Mar 13, 2003

If people don\'t follow Dan Quayle and start to use euroes!

But of course the Central Bank can not decide, what the people on the street will call the money.

Do the Irish say also 3 dollar, 5 pound?

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:41
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Heinrich Mar 19, 2003

It depends on what people say. In English I say Euros in analogy with Pounds and Dollars but in German I say Euro since we used to say just Mark (in English I used to say Marks though) and in French, well, I guess I say euros even if you can\'t hear the S.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
the simplest solution :-) Mar 21, 2003

in turkish we do not have this problem, and not only because turkey is not an euro country, but in the turkish language the word remains singular when the number of items is specified: if you\'re talking about a plurality of pens, you say \"pens\" but if you have to say \"3 pens\" in turkish, you say \"3 pen\". why not? when you say 3, isn\'t it already clear that pen is plural?

and greetings to the turkish translator of \"son 3 aylar\" on this site ...
See more
in turkish we do not have this problem, and not only because turkey is not an euro country, but in the turkish language the word remains singular when the number of items is specified: if you\'re talking about a plurality of pens, you say \"pens\" but if you have to say \"3 pens\" in turkish, you say \"3 pen\". why not? when you say 3, isn\'t it already clear that pen is plural?

and greetings to the turkish translator of \"son 3 aylar\" on this site
[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The only English-speaking euro country says euro not euros

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »