Mobile menu

types of stylistic errors in technical translation
Thread poster: monxinh
English to Vietnamese
Dec 31, 2007

I have made a small study on analyzing errors in translating technical documents from English to Vietnamese. However, this analysis mainly focus on errors due to differences in the stylistic features of English and Vietnamese scientific prose ( as a particular functional style). They can be some mistakes such as: terminology, typical structures ( passive, impersonal sentence..). I would be really grateful if you can have some suggestions for me to complete this study. Or has anyone ever done something like that, could you please show me your experience? Great thanks to all of you!

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:42
English to French
+ ...
I can't really help, but... Dec 31, 2007

I have just recently read a paper about controlled English that I have found very interesting and useful. I know you are not enquiring about controlled language, but trust me, the inventory of the types of rules encountered in controlled language targets specifically well written technical documents, and I think these are most relevant to your study.

Take a look here:

It may not really answer your questions, but will definitely give you pointers on what you may want to explore.

All the best!

English to Vietnamese
Thank you Jan 1, 2008

Dear Viktoria,
I really appreciate your suggestion. I have a quick look at your link and I think it really helps. Once again, thank you verymuch and Happy New Year to you!
Best regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

types of stylistic errors in technical translation

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs