Mobile menu

Domestication and Foreignisation
Thread poster: Alishia
Polish to English
Jan 5, 2008

Hello everybody!
Could anyone tell me if domestication/foreignisation (introduced by Venuti) has their own translating strategies? Can I say that borrowing, calque and literal translation refer to foreignisation and transposition, modulation, equivalence and adaptation have more in common with domestication? I am writing diploma paper about different strategies applied to translating culture-bound items in the context of film, and I found in the literature that there are 2 main types of such translation: domestication and foreignisation. But I need also to make a division between borrowing, calque, adaptation a so on. Can I state that translation of a film Shrek from English to Polish ( I mean Polish dubbing) was made in domesticating model? I am really confused.

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Krzysztof Raczkowiak  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:35
English to Polish
+ ...
You're getting there:) Jan 5, 2008

You're basically right with a few concessions:
1. Venuti based his division on that of Friedrich Schleiermacher (naturalisation and alienation).
2. Equivalence is not a translation strategy; rather it is a goal of the translation process (google up Nida and equivalent effect, for instance). On equivalence, see for instance Mona Baker's Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Studies.
3. The word adaptation seems tricky: in some contexts adaptation is used to tell a TT from translation (e.g. adaptation of children's literature).
Bartosz Wierzbięta's translation of Shrek is a perfect example of domestication
BTW: there are tons of papers on this particular translation.
As for the rest, provide definitions of the terms and present examples from the transcript (or transcribe them on your own).
Generally, the problem with translation studies is multitude of terms, which in many respects mean roughly the same.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Domestication and Foreignisation

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs