Mobile menu

Case agreement between text headings and index.
Thread poster: patyjs

patyjs  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 8, 2008

I'm currently working on a large document where the section headings and sub-headings in the text are in upper case. The index, however, has the sub-headings in lower case. Should I change the index? the text? neither?

Thoughts welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yvette Neisser Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ask client Jan 8, 2008

Hi Paty. I always ask the client on questions like this. Often, they either don't care or they may defer to your professional judgment, but sometimes they have a preference and you can save yourself time by asking.

Personally, I don't know if there's any hard and fast rule on this point. Maybe another colleague will be aware of the standard practice.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:35
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Additional note Jan 8, 2008

I concur with Yvette. My preference is to make it consistent between the table of contents (or index) and the actual text. But your client may have other ideas.

One thing I usually do is ask a new client for a style guide before starting work. Even if the client doesn't have one, you're in a better position if the client doesn't like your style later.

Vito Smolej
Local time: 22:35
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Index is normally program-generated Jan 9, 2008

The index, however, has the sub-headings in lower case. Should I change the index?

So it looks somebody played around with it or with the styles involved in it...

My way of doing it - and so far it worked perfectly - is to remove the index altogether from the source at the very beginning (its presence is just a nuisance during the translation). I put it back into the cleaned version, when everything else has been done.

That may be the moment, when the issue of lowercase vs uppercases may come up - it is very probably the style selected for the index entries anyhow -. But then, you have the problem neatly isolated in time and place.

[Urejeno ob 2008-01-09 09:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Case agreement between text headings and index.

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs