Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
One third of ProZ translators never learned what it means to translate!
Thread poster: Nicholas Ferreira
Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:26
Italian to English
In memoriam
Much simpler than that Jan 25, 2008

Williamson wrote:

Syntax is a course given during the second year of a (superfluous) M.A.in Translation course. Or isn't semantic and syntactical analysis of philosophical texts of 20 lines without any . of authors like Francisco de Ayala (Spanish) and Marcel Proust (French) or their Italian equivalent what you meant? As far as I remember, this was stuff from the second year. If you were not able to say if a phrase was "una oración principal o subordianda substantiva", "adverbial" or "adjetiva" and if you could not indicate the function of every word in the sentence" you simply did not pass to the following year.

That's the sort of thing I was talking about. It used to be on the middle or secondary school curriculum in the countries of which I have any knowledge, particularly if you were lucky enough to study classical as well as modern languages and the language of instruction.

Nowadays, though, there are EFL textbooks (!) that refer to the passive voice as a "tense"

Giles

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:26
English to French
+ ...
Maybe that's what it means to YOU since you are not on the client side Jan 25, 2008

Andy Watkinson wrote:

"A translator who looks at work from the client's perspective"
http://www.proz.com/profile/49591

Sound familiar?

The client's perpective, to me, means that you take into account what the client is trying to achieve with that translation, not how the client wants the translator to work. It's simply about being interested in considering the client's needs. Maybe it means something different to you, but that may also be because you are not a client but rather a translator...

Cheers!

Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga
Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rhethorical Jan 25, 2008

Actually my PS question was rhetorical, since Pelé is commonly considered the best player ever, although I am glad you to hear we all agree in something (and to meet someone who ever saw him play!). This is pure modern mithology and this people are reminded as symbols.

Back to the topic, to fit my allegory Pelé would (and probably did) have both the qualities of Maradona and Crujff.

Let's say, back to translation world, that Maradona is like Shakespeare:
- Hardl
... See more
Actually my PS question was rhetorical, since Pelé is commonly considered the best player ever, although I am glad you to hear we all agree in something (and to meet someone who ever saw him play!). This is pure modern mithology and this people are reminded as symbols.

Back to the topic, to fit my allegory Pelé would (and probably did) have both the qualities of Maradona and Crujff.

Let's say, back to translation world, that Maradona is like Shakespeare:
- Hardly any formal training
- Mastered no other language
And he was however the best for the job, his translations from Italian, French, Spanish and Latin etc. made everyone forget about the originals. If I had a Spanish Sonnet to translate into English I would definitely ask him!

Now lets say that Pelé is like Borges
+ Best command achieved by any man in his native language
+ Deep knowledge of his second language, both through residing in the country and study, say English (he mastered many other languages)
+ Extended formation in literature theory
Probably not bad either for the job.

I think that the Cruijff of Translation is yet to be born. Probably why one third of the translators find no use for the CURRENT translation theories (counts also as my own interpretation of the poll results).

That (as we say repeatedly in KudoZ) all depends on the context of your document. Who is your client? Has your client given any instructions/clues on such matters? Who is going to read the translation? etc. etc. It's not your call as a 'mere' translator!

You are the client and the context! I didn’t mean any further usage of the “term” that in this allegory, which actually is not me as “mere” translator but as a “mere” forum poster,
The theoretical problem is still pretty hard, since being this an international forum it should be written in the original language Crujff, however for the same reason this player is worldwide known as Cruyff. I would not write Cruijff in an international forum about football. In a linguist forum my choice is “Cruijff (best known as Cruyff)”

In a translation environment I would just ask the client how he wants it translated, probably after explaining him the connotations of each choice.

Way off topic ...
Well that is how allegories work

I recognise that probably this is to elemental or "blöd", I hope someone thinks it is cute

[Edited at 2008-01-25 21:04]
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Kwollifight? Shmollifight! Jan 26, 2008

LOL! Good one! Show it to them, BD!

B D Finch wrote:
I hope that somebody ensures that only properly qualified people will be allowed onto our bookshelves. I am quite horrified at the rubbish on mine, now that I realise how unqualified these people were. I am delighted to be able to feel justified in clearing some much needed shelf space for knick-knacks and my collection of tiddley-winks trophies.

Zanjiin
Zanjiin
Local time: 20:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Theory Feb 1, 2008

I'm a beginner translator though I started studying English when is was 9 years old. Just couple years ago I realized that translating and interpreting is what I like to do most. I'm in a situation when I got full time job (in terms how much time I dedicate to translating for money) and still there is one year before I get my so cherished diploma.

At the moment I'm more interested in getting practical skill not theory as I have my formed my own concept of good translation. The point
... See more
I'm a beginner translator though I started studying English when is was 9 years old. Just couple years ago I realized that translating and interpreting is what I like to do most. I'm in a situation when I got full time job (in terms how much time I dedicate to translating for money) and still there is one year before I get my so cherished diploma.

At the moment I'm more interested in getting practical skill not theory as I have my formed my own concept of good translation. The point is when I had my theory of translation classes it was much of a surprise for me when the things I was told had been know for me long ago, concerning all kinds of translation and interpreting. I just didnt know the "smart" terms for that.

But on the other hand if I want to call myself a professional or even have right to call my self one. I should have solid theoretical training. Many times when I had argues about how the translation should look like I could only reason "I feel that it must be this way". Doesn't sound much professionaly, does it?
Collapse

dcanossa
dcanossa  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
How much did it help you? Feb 8, 2008

I believe translation theory might open up your eyes... once or twice in a lifetime.

I have found that translation theory does help in some cases, and does NOT in some other... It all depends on what the end client wants.

I have myself studied theory, and most of it, I must admit, was like "Oh really? I would have never thought that!" (being sarcastic, of course). But some theory may help you out with some complex desicions. Will it help? What if you client wants somet
... See more
I believe translation theory might open up your eyes... once or twice in a lifetime.

I have found that translation theory does help in some cases, and does NOT in some other... It all depends on what the end client wants.

I have myself studied theory, and most of it, I must admit, was like "Oh really? I would have never thought that!" (being sarcastic, of course). But some theory may help you out with some complex desicions. Will it help? What if you client wants something translated in a way that goes against the theory? What would you do? Stick to theory or satisfy your client? I'd satisfy my client. And my expertise was achieved by practice and not by theory. I know translators with college degree who have a poor language command, and therefore, while they may know all the theory, they can't translate well. Theory is just a small portion of the cake, and you may learn it with practice. So why read it if you know it?
Collapse

David Katan
David Katan
English to Italian
Questionnaire on training, practice and professional status Mar 27, 2008

I teach translation and am very concerned that what we teach doesn't match the needs in the workplace. I am also concerned about the status of translators in the community.

So, I am conducting a survey , asking translators/interpreterst what they think should go into a translation/interpreting course, and what they think of the profession.
It's basically an on-line click multiple-choice that takes about 15 mins. At the end you get to see the statistical analysis, and remarks f
... See more
I teach translation and am very concerned that what we teach doesn't match the needs in the workplace. I am also concerned about the status of translators in the community.

So, I am conducting a survey , asking translators/interpreterst what they think should go into a translation/interpreting course, and what they think of the profession.
It's basically an on-line click multiple-choice that takes about 15 mins. At the end you get to see the statistical analysis, and remarks from everyone who has taken part. So far we have just under 1000 responses.

Please add yours to help both the quality of training and the status in the community, clicking on the site below. Many thanks

David katan

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=qp5i5fMsSCgXZJLle2bFbw_3d_3d
Collapse

Claudia Russo
Claudia Russo
Local time: 12:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Difficult to say... Apr 15, 2008

I agree with you in the sense that Translation is a professional practice and should have some standards followed by all the ones in the matter. But then, I also think that there are many people who do translate very well and produce amazing translation works without never ever having studied a single paper on the theory of translation. These people have the practice and perfection they say... comes with practice. I would say, as in many aspects of life, we need a balance. We need both the tedio... See more
I agree with you in the sense that Translation is a professional practice and should have some standards followed by all the ones in the matter. But then, I also think that there are many people who do translate very well and produce amazing translation works without never ever having studied a single paper on the theory of translation. These people have the practice and perfection they say... comes with practice. I would say, as in many aspects of life, we need a balance. We need both the tedious theory and the rewarding practice in order to become a good professional. But exceptions must be considered, I guess.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One third of ProZ translators never learned what it means to translate!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »