Mobile menu

How to organize a terminology database?
Thread poster: Daouda
Daouda
Local time: 18:18
English to French
Mar 26, 2003

I am looking for some advice on how to organize my terminology files in something other than a folder structure. For instance has anyone used Access or Multiterm and what tips would they give? I have a huge number of files and am looking for a way to sort them in order to keep track of what I have and to facilitate searches.

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:18
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
I use a combination of Access and MultiTerm Apr 5, 2003

I use both Access and MultiTerm to keep track of terminology and I am in the middle of organizing data. I have worked a number of years in Access, and I really love the way I can sort and manipulate data any way I want. One of the very useful things in Access is that you can use wildcards to search for fragments or all expressions including a certain term. For instance, I have the Microsoft glossaries in one gigantic Access database and I can filter out all strings that use a certain word or expression. Very useful.

At the moment, I have other glossaries in MultiTerm. It\'s handy for quick lookups; however, you need to know the exact term you want to look up or at least the word/letters it starts with. Integrating a large MultiTerm word bank into Trados (particularly one that covers many different subject areas) might not be that useful since you end up getting a good number of hits for certain words. And since you can see only one entry at a time, you might have to flip back and forth in order to evaluate all entries.

Another plus of is the use of filters. If you want to update terminology from a specific client or subject, just run a filter. In MultiTerm, you have to export and re-import data to do the same. Very cumbersome.

I think my final approach will be a number of MultiTerm glossaries for each subject area, and one central glossary in Access containing everything for the big picture.

Since I have not yet re-formatted all glossaries, I still have folder structures. But a search through all files and folders is extremely time-consuming and either Access or MultiTerm (or any other database, for that matter) will do a better job.

I hope this is useful.

Heike

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to organize a terminology database?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs