Mobile menu

How to organize a terminology database?
Thread poster: Daouda
Local time: 16:26
English to French
Mar 26, 2003

I am looking for some advice on how to organize my terminology files in something other than a folder structure. For instance has anyone used Access or Multiterm and what tips would they give? I have a huge number of files and am looking for a way to sort them in order to keep track of what I have and to facilitate searches.

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:26
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
I use a combination of Access and MultiTerm Apr 5, 2003

I use both Access and MultiTerm to keep track of terminology and I am in the middle of organizing data. I have worked a number of years in Access, and I really love the way I can sort and manipulate data any way I want. One of the very useful things in Access is that you can use wildcards to search for fragments or all expressions including a certain term. For instance, I have the Microsoft glossaries in one gigantic Access database and I can filter out all strings that use a certain word or expression. Very useful.

At the moment, I have other glossaries in MultiTerm. It\'s handy for quick lookups; however, you need to know the exact term you want to look up or at least the word/letters it starts with. Integrating a large MultiTerm word bank into Trados (particularly one that covers many different subject areas) might not be that useful since you end up getting a good number of hits for certain words. And since you can see only one entry at a time, you might have to flip back and forth in order to evaluate all entries.

Another plus of is the use of filters. If you want to update terminology from a specific client or subject, just run a filter. In MultiTerm, you have to export and re-import data to do the same. Very cumbersome.

I think my final approach will be a number of MultiTerm glossaries for each subject area, and one central glossary in Access containing everything for the big picture.

Since I have not yet re-formatted all glossaries, I still have folder structures. But a search through all files and folders is extremely time-consuming and either Access or MultiTerm (or any other database, for that matter) will do a better job.

I hope this is useful.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to organize a terminology database?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs